New Macbbook Pro running slow

Reaction score
I apologize in advance. This is my first time owning a mac, and so you're going to have to be quite detailed when helping me out. I still don't know how to do a lot of stuff on this computer. :p

Anyways, I got a new 13" macbook pro with 8gb of ram about three weeks ago. Its been running perfectly up until yesterday. I was playing the sims 3, and the game crashed on me. Since then my computer has been running outrageously slow it takes a good 5 - 6 seconds to switch between tabs on safari, and video's are entirely unplayable. The visual will try to keep up for a few seconds (extremely choppily) and then the visual will freeze altogether and just the audio will continue playing. I have a feeling it might be a corrupt file or something, since this happened right after a game crashed, but I have no idea what to do about that on a mac. I already tried repairing disk permissions, but that didn't seem to help at all.

Help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Try this.....Download OnyX from Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX

Make sure that all of your Data is backed up. Run OnyX, and it will first take you through 2 steps. Then you will enter your system password. Click on the "Automation" tab, check all of the boxes, and click on "execute." It may take a while for it to run all the way through, then it will ask you to restart your Mac.

I'm not sure if that will correct the slowness problem, however, it may. There are other things you can try, however, I feel that this is a benign start. I have run OnyX on many Macs, and it has never crashed the system.

If you prefer, since your MacBook Pro is only 3 weeks old, you could call Apple Tech Support. They will probably take you through other steps.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you rebooted the machine? Shut it down, not a restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
I've not tried this, but does it add much extra functionality than when you boot from a O/S disc and then you have the disk utility etc...?
I'm not sure it will help you. It depends upon what problems you are having. It does more than just running Disk Utility and repairing Permissions.

You do not have to boot from the OS Disc to go into Disk Utility. All you have to do is click on the magnifying glass on the upper right of your screen, and type in 'Disk Utility' and click on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.