Please help with wireless printer

Reaction score
i have a belkin wireless print server and on Panther i used tcp/ip for printing and it worked flawlessly. However on tiger i cant get it to work at all. the only options that i see are IPP and LPD.

My printer is located on the ip 192.168.1.101

What do i need to do in order to add this printer and make it work. It worked on Panther so why wouldn't it work on Tiger?

Please help... i need to print stuff =\

-Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Use IPP.

Address is IP
Queue is the name that will show up in the print dialog

OP
D
Reaction score
MacsWork said:
Use IPP.

Address is IP
Queue is the name that will show up in the print dialog
Sorry but this really doesnt work. I tried looking it up on google and everything and cant find anything on the subject.

Ive tried using the generic print driver and the one off the brother website. Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lets start from the top. Not knowing your level of expertise.

Your wireless print server is statically assigned to 192.168.1.101. Is this true? Or is it using DHCP?

Is your print server a stand alone or is it built in with a router? What's the model? Hopefully your Mac's IP is one similar to the print server, 192.168.1.xxx

Verify that the IP is correct. I assume there is a web interface to do this. Or a belkin utility to find the print server and configue it.

Typically if it were a driver issue it would still print, it would just print junk. I assume the print jobs get to the print queue on the mac and therefore they hang there because they can't be sent to the print server. If the print queues are leaving the mac then we'll have to take a closer look at the belkin's settings beyond communication.

When you use the add printer in Print Center and select IP printer, then from the drop down select IPP - Internet Printing Protocol it has a line for Address. It will not verify the IP address. It will only verify the address format. For the sake of argument just change your print srver to 192.168.1.157 and then use that address in the Address field. We'll be able to verify that you know exactly the IP of the printer, and that it is truely a static address. You can give it a name in the add printer dialog but if you don't it will be named the IP. You should use the manufacturer specific driver, or gimp substitute.

There really is not much involved beyond this. As long as the communication is there it should work. Try going to 127.0.0.1:631 in safari and select the newly added printer and print a test page. If the print queue does not leave the mac there is still a communications issue.

OP
D
Reaction score
MacsWork said:
Lets start from the top. Not knowing your level of expertise.

Your wireless print server is statically assigned to 192.168.1.101. Is this true? Or is it using DHCP?
Yes the printer is statically assigned to 192.168.1.101. It is not using DHCP.

Is your print server a stand alone or is it built in with a router? What's the model? Hopefully your Mac's IP is one similar to the print server, 192.168.1.xxx
Print server is the Belkin Wireless G F1UP0001. It is conected via my Linksys Wireless G router.

The ip of the mac is dynamic but it is always using 192.168.1.xxx
Verify that the IP is correct. I assume there is a web interface to do this. Or a belkin utility to find the print server and configue it.

Typically if it were a driver issue it would still print, it would just print junk. I assume the print jobs get to the print queue on the mac and therefore they hang there because they can't be sent to the print server. If the print queues are leaving the mac then we'll have to take a closer look at the belkin's settings beyond communication.

When you use the add printer in Print Center and select IP printer, then from the drop down select IPP - Internet Printing Protocol it has a line for Address. It will not verify the IP address. It will only verify the address format. For the sake of argument just change your print srver to 192.168.1.157 and then use that address in the Address field. We'll be able to verify that you know exactly the IP of the printer, and that it is truely a static address. You can give it a name in the add printer dialog but if you don't it will be named the IP. You should use the manufacturer specific driver, or gimp substitute.

There really is not much involved beyond this. As long as the communication is there it should work. Try going to 127.0.0.1:631 in safari and select the newly added printer and print a test page. If the print queue does not leave the mac there is still a communications issue.
I dont think it is a driver issue because it either always cant establish a connection, the connection is busy, it is connected w/no data transfer, or the "server has rejected the file."

Here is a picture of what i have been doing. In the advanced printer options, i can select LPR/LDP but that doenst work. I can also use http or ipp but those dont work either. I think that i need a protocol of UDP or tcp/ip in order for it to work, however i cant find that option.

Here are some pictures of what i mean:

advanced.jpg

advancedselection.jpg

belkinpage.jpg

manual.jpg

printerbrowser.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the Panther Printer Setup.
You said you were using Tiger.

Don't use a generic driver. Use the correct one for the printer.

This is Tiger.
tprint.png

OP
D
Reaction score
this is all off of tiger. i am using 10.4.2 software. all of the images above are off of tiger.

also, i used both generic and the brother hl1440 driver that is on my machine from their website. what i dont understand is why it worked before on panther, and why it doenst work now..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try resetting the belkin to factory defaults along with the router and build the network from scratch.

I guess there's no good answer as to why, it sounds like you know what you are doing.

OP
D
Reaction score
MacsWork said:
Try resetting the belkin to factory defaults along with the router and build the network from scratch.

I guess there's no good answer as to why, it sounds like you know what you are doing.

do you think that it would help to call up applecare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They won't support the Belkin, but who knows, they might give some help.

I doubt it though.

S

sjoplin

did you ever get this printing issue resolved? Having the same issue and looking for support.
thank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.