Why is iPad slower than other devices on youtube?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2009) 15" 2.53 gHz
Hello, I've just found out that the iPad plays youtube movies a lot slower than other devices as Samsung Galaxy S2 or HTC Desire. I have seen it with my own eyes. Of course the devices were on the same network at around the same time. I enjoy watching youtube on the iPad, but the speed disappoints me.

Why is it slower?:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just checked mine seems to load and play just as good as my Mac and HP not sure if I understand what you are getting at.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thx for the answer, but 50% of the movies aren't as fast as on the other devices. could it be that it takes a long time for the ipad to convert or maybe makes the movies fit the ipad? thanks

cheers,
mormic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
My pad is getting slower. I detect a beachballing experience. I know you can reboot it, but that's not gonna make anything better.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
which ipad do you have? the original (first gen.) could get slower because of the newer OS (I see that with my iPhone 3GS), but I've just bought my iPad 2. Apple just wants us to buy new stuff.

greetings,
mormic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
thx for the answer, but 50% of the movies aren't as fast as on the other devices. could it be that it takes a long time for the ipad to convert or maybe makes the movies fit the ipad? thanks

cheers,
mormic

I don't notice that, mine seems just as fast as anything else.

Also, the iPad doesn't do the converting. YouTube streams the video to the iPad as H.264.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't notice it here on my gen 1 iPad either. In fact, I would say just the opposite.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thx for all your answer, maybe my connection wasn't so good

mormic

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My pad is getting slower. I detect a beachballing experience. I know you can reboot it, but that's not gonna make anything better.

he also recognizes it, so it could be a problem happen very randomly

also sry for my english, i'm not native speaker

mormic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

mormic

Close any apps you have in the back ground and reboot.... it will make a difference. Fixed hardware doesn't just slow down on it's own . . . .

I've got a heavily used gen 1 iPad and if I do ever get slow downs that cures it.

YouTube is a very subjective thing. Network fluctuations play a huge part in things. Do you get the same results in the native app as you do on the YouTube mobile site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

mormic

What he's saying doesn't really make sense so I would follow the advice of the veterans here. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.