MBP upgrade plan ... comments welcome

Reaction score
Hi, I currently use a 4-year-old MBP (15' dual 2.3), which I'm going to upgrade to a new quad 2.3, 8 gig ram. I have the money and could order any time, but here's my plan. I'm curious to know if this all makes sense to the experts around here, or if I might be off base with some of this. Any other suggestions for an upgrader welcome.

-First, I'm going to wait to order until Lion comes pre-installed to avoid replacing my system less than a month after purchase.

-Second: I've been a Mac user going on 20 years now. Whenever I've bought a new machine or upgraded systems, I've always copied all my stuff over (applications, documents, etc.) using Apple's migration assistant thing. This works great, but I figure it brings along a lot of stuff I don't need. This time, I plan on reinstalling software fresh and moving documents over on an as-needed basis. Is there an advantage to my doing it this way, or am I making more work for my self than necessary?

-If I do do the as-needed way, what's a good method to permanently archive my old machine's hard drive to easily access its contents as needed on the new machine?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
In all honesty, there's no reason to wait until Lion comes pre-installed for two reasons. First of all, if you purchase a new Mac between June 6 and when Lion is released, you qualify for a free upgrade to Lion. Perhaps more importantly, you will be able to install Lion over Snow Leopard without requiring a restart. That also means you don't have to wipe the system and start fresh.

As far as migrating things over goes, that's more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I guess what I was thinking is that it would be a cleaner install of Lion if that was the only system that had been on the machine. Or does it even matter?

On the other issue, is there no performance advantage to newly installed software vs migration assistant?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.