Refurbished iMac 27-inch Vs new iMac 21

DrO

Reaction score
Dear members

I am currently using a new 21 inches iMac 2011 (sandy bridge entry level) as my main computer, but I am thinking about returning it and getting a refurbished 27 inches one (Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor) the screen size of the 21 inches one is ok but I feel the 27 size is nice.
I had initially purchased the new 21 inches,thinking that it would be good to have extra performance but since I only use word, outlook and safari for studying and writing. I believe I may not benefit from the extra performance (i cannot notice any difference between my macbook air and new 21 imac performance since i just use word, safari and outlook) and i may take advantage of the big screen of the 27 inches iMac (just see or open many apps at once) I never play games or do design. I like the size of the 27 inches as well. The specs are: Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor
What do you think of my reasoning , it would be a sensible switch (I need to pay only £150 to get the refurbished 27 inches one)

Your views would be appreciated

Omar

OP
D

DrO

Reaction score
21 Inches

I have been working all day in my new iMac 21, and the size has been ok, I ca see my 2 documents without any problems, I am now strongly considering to stick with the current I own because my desk is not massive as well and I can sit close to the screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Dear members

I am currently using a new 21 inches iMac 2011 (sandy bridge entry level) as my main computer, but I am thinking about returning it and getting a refurbished 27 inches one (Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor) the screen size of the 21 inches one is ok but I feel the 27 size is nice.
I had initially purchased the new 21 inches,thinking that it would be good to have extra performance but since I only use word, outlook and safari for studying and writing. I believe I may not benefit from the extra performance (i cannot notice any difference between my macbook air and new 21 imac performance since i just use word, safari and outlook) and i may take advantage of the big screen of the 27 inches iMac (just see or open many apps at once) I never play games or do design. I like the size of the 27 inches as well. The specs are: Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor
What do you think of my reasoning , it would be a sensible switch (I need to pay only £150 to get the refurbished 27 inches one)

Your views would be appreciated

Omar
For what you are using it for, IMO, the 21 is fine. Both of mine are 21's, and personally, would not want a 27 unless I was doing editing, etc. I use the same basic programs you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
Bigger is always nicer, but I'd bet money the 27" will be louder due to a lot more screen backlighting which needs cooling. I was disappointed going from a dead silent 17" to a 21" which while not loud is definitely audible in my quiet house. Try and check that out-if it seems quiet, go for it!

Reaction score
i went from a 24 inch monitor on my old windows system to the 27 inch i7 imac. how the imac is great i used to have a 24 and a 21 on my desk now i only have the imac and am much happier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Bigger is always nicer, but I'd bet money the 27" will be louder due to a lot more screen backlighting which needs cooling. I was disappointed going from a dead silent 17" to a 21" which while not loud is definitely audible in my quiet house. Try and check that out-if it seems quiet, go for it!

I am a little confused. I own the 27" 2010 and I do not believe I have herd it once. except for the hard drive noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
For what you are doing, you won't have any performance issues with the older 27" model. I'm using the last-gen 21" iMac and it's great. I would have gone for the 27" model, but I would have had less than a mm of space between the top of the iMac and the bottom of my desk's hutch. So long you are sure you'd prefer the extra screen space and that it will be a good fit physically for your environment, I'd say go for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.