Data Cable Surge Protection

Reaction score
I am using a BACK-UPS with my iMac. In addition to plugging the computer and router power into the BACK-UPS, I have an ethernet cable plugged into a router port, and the router data cable plugged in to the BACK-UPS surge protector port. The cable modem data cable is plugged into the BACK-UPS.

Is it a good idea to use the UPS data surge protector port? Will it slow down connection speed, or cause other problems?

thanks, Kevin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, that's what it's for and it will not slow down the connection speed. I have my iMac hooked to an UPS, however, I can't use the data port because I have Verizon FIOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I also recommend using the data port protection if possible. I have seen lightning strikes travel across the cable modem, down the ethernet cable and fry the ethernet port on an attached computer.

One thing most people don't realize - you should replace your surge strip every few years. Most strips, after a few years of surges, brown-outs, and spikes (oh my!), are little more than extension cords.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
We have had to replace 3 laptops last week due to storms in the area. 2 of them were killed by the Ethernet connection to their router, which was not protected. They lost their cable modem, router and laptop. We always recommend our users to always use some kind of surge protection. Most power strips that are cheap do not offer true surge protection. Make sure to look on the boxes for a warranty label stating what is covered.

Back-UPS are great protection and I have 5 in my house for all my electronics. My modem and router are hooked up to one and it will offer me 6 hours runtime before the batteries go dead. My laptop will run on its own battery for up to 9 depending on settings.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also recommend using the data port protection if possible. I have seen lightning strikes travel across the cable modem, down the ethernet cable and fry the ethernet port on an attached computer.

I can verify that. I had a lightning strike hit across the street from me and it took out a router, 2 TV sets, an ethernet port, and the controller board in my home air conditioner unit. Over $1000 in damage.

My son's home in Atlanta Georgia was hit by lightning and it took out everything electronic in his home. In his case, insurance took care of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.