Equivalent of Windows Task Scheduler?

Reaction score
How do you do something like Windows Task Scheduler in OSX? That is, what is the OSX way to control timed tasks?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
chron or Automator depending on what you're trying to do.

OP
W
Reaction score
I found Automator in "Apps", but don't see "Chron" in either Apps or Utilities. I simply need to see a list of all active timed tasks so that I can edit/delete/add timed tasks. I am assuming that there is one and only one such list that is then managed by one and only one background process - same as in Windows?

OP
W
Reaction score
CronniX looks like a great way to create and manage cron jobs at the "user level". But, it appears to have no knowledge of "system level" cron jobs. Is there any way that I can at least see what all of the cron jobs are?

I tried using the root user to look at the /private/etc/periodic/* folder, as well as all of my user folders, but none of the files in those folders lists a job that I know for a fact runs every 5 minutes (the Prey theft finder app). I see cron running in the Activity Monitor, but not Prey, and I have no idea where all of the settings are located that cron is reading. I only know of the ones I described above.

Suggestions?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It could very well be that what you're looking for is in fact execute through launchd and not cron. Unfortunately, launchd plist files are scattered all over - /System/Library/LaunchAgents, /System/Library/LaunchDaemons, /Library/LaunchDaemons, /Library/LaunchAgents and ~/Library/LaunchAgents. What are you looking for or what are you looking to set up?

OP
W
Reaction score
I'm simply trying to learn more about this important feature. The Prey app is giving me an excuse to learn about it.

Very interesting about "launchd". I checked the folders you suggested, and none of the .plist files in there have been modified in the time frame I would expect to see the Prey plist file (if it exists). Surely, there is a way to search for all .plist files in a given date range, but such a feature doesn't appear to be in the Finder app. Is there a way to do such a file name pattern + date search?

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.