10.6.8 update - dock not working

Reaction score
I upgraded from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 today and the dock is no longer working for me. It is showing shortly after startup but then disappears.
System is incredibly slow and some feature do not work at all.

Logging on as another user runs fine.

Can I undo a software update?

*** do I fix the malfunctioning user profile?
Thanks a lot for any help.
I am relatively new to Mac and was quite excited so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You could try this:

Follow the path, and drag the file at the end to your Desktop
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Restart the computer

This might clear up the Dock problem. It probably won't speed anything up.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That might fix the slowdown as well. I know someone who was getting unusual Dock behavior as well. While the Dock was running Activity Monitor was reporting that the Doc was using 100% of one CPU.

OP
T
Reaction score
solution

I forgot to mention that I had parallels installed before upgrading from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8.
This caused the problem.
In Paralells the option of showing Windows applications in the docks must be disabled.
in parallels: show list of virtual machines, shut down all, configure paralles and in applications untick "show windows application folder in dock"

This solved the problem, Uff.

Reaction score
New KB article

I upgraded from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 today and the dock is no longer working for me. It is showing shortly after startup but then disappears.
System is incredibly slow and some feature do not work at all.

Logging on as another user runs fine.

Can I undo a software update?

*** do I fix the malfunctioning user profile?
Thanks a lot for any help.
I am relatively new to Mac and was quite excited so far.

Hey triscleeire,

This is a member of the Parallels Support team. We created a KB article that addresses an issue some customers are facing after the latest upgrade KB Parallels: Mac Dock consuming 100% of CPU core after upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6.8

Reaction score
Huge Relief!!!

Thanks much for all of your responses! I have been fighting this since upgrading as well. In fact, I reinstalled my OS, had everything working, and then applied latest patches and then had Dock and Spaces go kaput again.

So appreciate your assistance. I have updated to the latest version of Parallels without any success with my Dock. I removed them from the Dock and all is well.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I got an update to Parallels since this thread began. I am not sure if it was a new one that addressed this issue or not. Maybe I was behind since I don't run Parallels often. Perhaps they have fixed it.

Reaction score
Parallels update worked

Thanks for the info. I thought I had the most recent update, but apparently not. The latest update worked!

Thank you!

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I had parallels installed before upgrading from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8.
This caused the problem.
In Paralells the option of showing Windows applications in the docks must be disabled.
in parallels: show list of virtual machines, shut down all, configure paralles and in applications untick "show windows application folder in dock"

This solved the problem, Uff.

Thank you so much triscleeire!

My battery charge capacity had effectively halved, I did spot the 100% load on the dock but did not realize it was Parallels.
I've applied the workaround which seems to have done the trick!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.