My PowerMac G4 returns home....

Reaction score
My 'baby' has come back to me! (Traded it away, now it's been given back)
I have a PowerMac G4 AGP with a 450 mhz processor that I want to upgrade....
Where can I go to :
a) find the directions to do this (replace/upgrade processor) and
b) buy a decent processor reasonable that will work????
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its not worth upgrading that machine

By the time you factor in a processor card (they are pricey) RAM and hard disks (it can only really use ATA drives of 128 gig and below), plus a decent graphics card to process video - you are at least half way to buying a new or nearly new Intel mac

OP
M
Reaction score
not the point...

The reason I want to upgrade the processor, and really anything else along the way is to have fun with it!
I feel that since it isn't worth much, I don't have much to lose if I mess up.
When I first bought her, back in 1999, I spent a lot of dough. I was truly scared to touch it at first. And I thought my first sad mac bomb was the end of the world.
Now I want to go inside and tinker.
So my original question was, is there a resource that you can direct me to that will give me good directions on how to do this?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Louishen for the clarification! Thanks kind of what I wanted to know. I'm thinking about getting some more PowerMac G4's just to play with since they are so cheap off of ebay!
This is going to be fun......I think......

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OWC is a great place to get what you need. The upgrade CPU's and other things for the older G4's are getting harder to find. Also try Ebay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.