Questions re passwords after getting back a stolen computer

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering how easy is it for somebody to bypass the login password on an iMac using Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Before my computer was stolen I'd set it up so you needed to enter a password before you even reached the desktop. They seemed to have no trouble getting around this.

By looking at dates of files created and files last modified there seems to have been a six day gap between when when I'd last used it and when it was next used. Whoever received the stolen computer had set up an account of their own. Most of my stuff had been erased (everything in iTunes, iPhoto etc). The hard drive was almost scrubbed clean except for just a handful of my files.

Originally I thought they had just erased the entire hard drive but there are still a few of my files on there which I take it must mean they erased most of the stuff through the trash can.

Though before they pawned it, they failed to erase anything that they'd put on there.

I'm also wondering if you can find out somehow on which dates the trash was emptied.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All it takes is an OS X disc to reset the password.

I would suggest you immediately change all passwords to all accounts.

As to knowing 'when' the trash was emptied - don't know, there may be in the logs somewhere, I've never gone looking for it - although, I don't see how that knowledge is going to serve any useful purpose.

If you do not have a backup of the system prior to it's being stolen and you're wanting to see if you can retrieve any of your deleted data, you'll need to grab a data recovery application such as Data Rescue 3.

Reaction score
If you have a backup of your computer on something like Time Machine then format the drive and recover your data from that.

Else as bobromay says, get some data recovery software to recover any deleted files on your Mac.

If you're going down the data recovery route it's very important you stop using your Mac right now else you risk overwriting files that may be recoverable on your hard drive and once you do that it can be difficult to recover such files.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you. I need to re-set the administrator password and don't have the start-up disk. Is there a way I can do this without deleting any of the files on the computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. Try this hint from "Life Hacker". LINK

Reaction score
iMac reset

I am in a similar situation but the username and password have been changed. How can I get in if I don't have the current username or password??

C

chas_m

Jaypeanut: you don't, unless you have the original OS X DVD that came with the machine (or a retail copy of OS X). Then you can boot from the disc and reset the password.

Aussieguy: get a retail copy of Snow Leopard for $30, you can reset the admin password from that DVD. I would suggest that once you recover whatever files you need, you should NUKE AND PAVE the hard drive and install a complete new system on it, then restore your apps and stuff from your backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.