Please answer a ? about download file & iphoto

Reaction score
Hi there, I am hoping someone knows these answers. There is a file called "Downloads" where about ten pictures were stored. I could not find out what the dates were when these pictures were downloaded and was wondering when something goes in this file, how long is it stored there? Are only recent downloads kept there or is it indefinitely?

Also, I had deleted some pictures from iPhoto but when I go through the Finder box and clicked on All pictures, they were still there even though they are not in iPhoto anymore. The same pictures from the download file were in the All Pictures section, even after I deleted them (and emptied the trash) from the download file.

One last question, I have Time Machine backup and I'm wondering if I delete something from the Finder box (ex. a photo) does it delete it from Time Machine or is it still backed up somewhere?

I am just trying to figure out how this works. Thanks for any info!:)

C

chas_m

Hi there, I am hoping someone knows these answers. There is a file called "Downloads" where about ten pictures were stored. I could not find out what the dates were when these pictures were downloaded and was wondering when something goes in this file, how long is it stored there? Are only recent downloads kept there or is it indefinitely?

Indefinitely. You can of course move them out of there and file them elsewhere (such as the Pictures folder or just straight into iPhoto if you want) at any time. You can also set a preference in your browser for downloaded material to be saved somewhere else if you like, though the Download folder is handy.

Also, I had deleted some pictures from iPhoto but when I go through the Finder box and clicked on All pictures, they were still there even though they are not in iPhoto anymore. The same pictures from the download file were in the All Pictures section, even after I deleted them (and emptied the trash) from the download file.

All Images isn't a folder, it's a search. It searches the entire hard drive and shows you every image it can find, even from inside programs and other odd places. Ignore it.

One last question, I have Time Machine backup and I'm wondering if I delete something from the Finder box (ex. a photo) does it delete it from Time Machine or is it still backed up somewhere?

Time Machine is not just a straight backup. It's a versioned backup, meaning deleted items are still in there in older versions.

Example: you have a file that's been on your machine a while. You throw it away on Monday. On Friday, you realize you need the file back. Can you get it back? Yes. Time Machine goes "back in time" to Monday (or earlier) and retrieves the file.

EVENTUALLY (time varies depending on how big your backup drive is and other factors), the file will be completely and utterly gone from all backups, but I have seen cases where this can take more than a year to happen. This is a good thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.