• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recording Video Gameplay

Reaction score
I play several video games, and I would like to record my gameplay onto my computer in a better way than just with a video camera aimed at the screen. I am aware of several products that can record gameplay, but they seem to be solely PC compatible. Are there any products of which anyone knows that could fulfill my desires? Thanks in advance.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am not up on the video connections available on current game systems so take this with a grain of salt. It would help to know which Mac and camera you have. Also do you have iMovie?

Two possibilities occurred to me though there may be others.

1. Use the camera but not by pointing it at the screen. Check your manual to see if it supports video pass thru. If it does the camera may be able to take the signal from the game system and send it to the computer where it can be picked up by iMovie.

2. Some of the ElGato TV capture hardware will work to capture game play. See this thread for example Can I connect my PlayStation 3, Wii, or XBox 360 to EyeTV Hybrid?.

There are other products out there designed to capture video such as the Canopus line of devices that may also work.

C

chas_m

There are a huge number of screen-recording apps, including Screenium, Snapz Pro X, and Screenflow among others. Various levels of price.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Quicktime works too if have Snow Leopard.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Am I misunderstanding something? I thought the OP wanted to record game play from a game console onto the computer. Will the screen recording apps mentioned do that?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Am I misunderstanding something? I thought the OP wanted to record game play from a game console onto the computer. Will the screen recording apps mentioned do that?

doesn't say console anywhere. I think he means he couldn't find any Mac-compatible ones, only PC.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Dont trust it, use local ads and private cash payments. nothing's completely secure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.