iMac 20" Won't Boot?

Reaction score
Hey,

My iMac won't boot up. It makes a few noises and lights up but it wont start. I just recorded a quick video to show you what happens.

Problem With iMac

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks
-Dom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes keep it away from YouTube lol!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And stay away from the red "stuff" you're drinking. ;P Hey Harry, do you think we've been taken.... :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Looks like it Chscag! What should we do?

One post and it's a comedy. :D

Reaction score
Hey Brain Blink

Hey,

My iMac won't boot up. It makes a few noises and lights up but it wont start. I just recorded a quick video to show you what happens.

Problem With iMac

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks
-Dom

I have got a similar issue with my iMac 27" Twins, do you see a white screen at all? or is it like its not getting power. Mine is powers up using the option key, I select the Install DVD to begin the install, then I go to a white screen with the gray apple in the center all usb devices go dark, no lights and it can sit there for hours, I let it sit 4 two (2) hours just to see if it was a patients thing. Its not.

Give me a bit more info on the state of your mac, example:
1. Is there an OS installed?
2. Has there ever been Windows on your machine.
3 Are you sure your DVD drive is healthy and good.
This is most critical as if you have a weak dvd it may play videos or movies When the machine is running, but for some reason if the drive is week most of the time 9 out of 10 it is too week to perform an install.

I run into this all the time with PC's and on occasion with a mac.
If you have another mac that runs, Make an image and restore it to a USB flash Drive and try installing it that way, I did just to prove it worked on my working Mac Pro Quad, Still didnt solve my problem with my iMac however.

I am cutting my losses, swallowing my crow, and heading by way of the Mac Genius store tomorrow. I have both of these 27" iMacs that are less than 8 months old and still under warranty.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have got a similar issue with my iMac 27" Twins, do you see a white screen at all? or is it like its not getting power. Mine is powers up using the option key, I select the Install DVD to begin the install, then I go to a white screen with the gray apple in the center all usb devices go dark, no lights and it can sit there for hours, I let it sit 4 two (2) hours just to see if it was a patients thing. Its not.

Give me a bit more info on the state of your mac, example:
1. Is there an OS installed?
2. Has there ever been Windows on your machine.
3 Are you sure your DVD drive is healthy and good.
This is most critical as if you have a weak dvd it may play videos or movies When the machine is running, but for some reason if the drive is week most of the time 9 out of 10 it is too week to perform an install.

I run into this all the time with PC's and on occasion with a mac.
If you have another mac that runs, Make an image and restore it to a USB flash Drive and try installing it that way, I did just to prove it worked on my working Mac Pro Quad, Still didnt solve my problem with my iMac however.

I am cutting my losses, swallowing my crow, and heading by way of the Mac Genius store tomorrow. I have both of these 27" iMacs that are less than 8 months old and still under warranty.

Thanks for your help, but it wasn't really broken. Just a little sketch that I made. I thought people on the forum might enjoy it :)

OP
B
Reaction score
On a serious note, for some reason my internet connection times out but all the other computer/laptops in the house remain connected. Does anyone know the cause?

Any help is appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.