Annoyance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
Every time I connect the iPad to charge it, it wakes the Mac from sleep, and would charge just fine while the Mac sleeps.

Worst of all, iPhoto always opens whenever the iPad is plugged it. I can't find any option anywhere in iPhoto or on the pad to prevent this happening. No camera on the pad, so what's the point?

iTunes is opened too, which is fine for an iPod, and connecting a camera is good when I have to get pics off it.

If I just want to transfer a book or PDF, or just charge it, all these things open.

I also do not want to back it up! That also initiates! The content is all on the Mac! No backups, please.

Any way to stop that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Plug in your iPad/iPhone and go to Image Capture in your applications folder. Click on the iPad/iPhone, then go to "Connecting this iPad/iPhone opens"(lower left hand corner) and change it from iPhoto to No application.

Voila, it's done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Every time I connect the iPad to charge it, it wakes the Mac from sleep, and would charge just fine while the Mac sleeps.

You are supposed to charge it from a wall socket. You "can" charge it via USB, but it's very slow. That said… it may be waking up because you have iTunes set to open when the iPad is connected. If so, disable that and see if it helps. It probably won't. I'm pretty sure connecting anything via USB will wake it up. Charging devices is only a secondary function of USB ports on a computer.

Worst of all, iPhoto always opens whenever the iPad is plugged it. I can't find any option anywhere in iPhoto or on the pad to prevent this happening. No camera on the pad, so what's the point?

The point is to transfer screen caps or any photos you added to the photo library on the iPad via another app. Open the Photos app on the iPad. Is there anything in the "Saved Photos" album? If so, that's why iPhoto is opening. To change this behavior, run "Image Capture" on your Mac while the iPad is connected. You can then change options for what to do when it is connected.

iTunes is opened too, which is fine for an iPod, and connecting a camera is good when I have to get pics off it.

If I just want to transfer a book or PDF, or just charge it, all these things open.

I also do not want to back it up! That also initiates! The content is all on the Mac! No backups, please.

Any way to stop that?

You have iTunes set to open the iPad when it is connected. Connect the iPad, select it from your devices, and disable that option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.