HELP: is my macbookpro running too hot?

Reaction score
hi everyone, I own a Macbook pro and am very concerned about how hot it may be running

using istat pro i can see that (everything is in Fahrenheit) :

cpu 151 degrees
cpu heatsink 124 degrees
enclosure base 1,2 and 3 99 degrees (one is at 98 actually)

should i be worried. I am only running google chrome, mail, ical and steam (i am downloading some games on it). I normally use my mac for video and basic word processing, as well as hardcore gaming (i have like 5 games on it [starcraft2, minecraft, counterstike source, garys mod, counterstrike source beta for all interested])
any help will be appreciated!:D

PS it is a unibody mid 2010 macbook pro 15 inch with 2.53 ghz i5 processor, if that makes a difference lol

and again THANKS ALOT FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE

Reaction score
For comparison - my MBP 2011 i5 runs CPU at 178 and heat sink at 153 F when not doing anything other than just surfing the web and playing HD video while running 3 monitors and Windows 2008 server in a VM.

If the high numbers bother, change your display setting to Celcius in the Sensors part of your settings.

Reaction score
i am sorry for posting here, not sure if ot. anyhow, my mbp's (intel core duo, 2006 15") core temperature sensors are not updating after a restart (not just after waking up), latest firmware updates ecc. I started freaking out when i saw my cpu diode (not the core ones) hit 118 celsius, is there anything i can do? the sensors work, they are just not updating.. this is also affecting my fans since they keep reading the startup core temperature.. kind of a big problem

thank you,
davide

Reaction score
That does sound high. On my 2011 i5, the "cpu proximity" reading is probably similar, and it typically reads 75 C. I have heard that older machines do run hotter, though, so maybe 118 is ok. Hopefully, someone with the same machine as yours will chime in with their experience.

OP
I
Reaction score
yes that does seem quite high.... have you been to an apple store lately, i suggest just popping in to see if anything is wrong.

if it is a software problem i suggest you run disk utility, which will probably tell you if anything is wrong, it should be searchable from the spotlight thing

good luck and tell us if you have ANY concerns!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.