Mac Mini Hard Drive Falure?

Reaction score
A year or so ago my mac mini (core 2 duo 1.66) started taking a super long time seeking for folders or performing simple tasks. I would get the beach ball spinning for forever. So I decided to reinstall my OS (original OS 10.4) and it hung up half way through the process each time I tried (same place too). I tried to format the hard drive and I ended up having to go into the bios and delete the hard drive or something before it would let me format. I can't recall the exact steps (sorry) because it was a year ago, but I had found the directions on a forum. Still it will not reinstall my OS. I am thinking that I need a new hard drive. They are cheap, and I could install it myself. Any thoughts? Again sorry if I left some details out, just let me know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Installing a new hard drive in a Mini is fairly straight forward. The most difficult part is opening up the Mini without damaging it. Take a look at the instructions for swapping out the hard drive at the ifixit web site. Have your model number on hand and look up the step by step. iFixit: The free repair manual

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, so it sounds like you concur that I have a bad hard drive. I'm looking into a replacement and checking out the repair guide.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.