PowerBook G4 won't bootup after running CleanMyMac

Reaction score
I ran CleanMyMac because my computer was slow and now when I turn it on it stays on the Apple and spins. I have no idea what to do and I am guessing I have lost everything. Please help, I know nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
CleanMyMac is held in VERY LOW REGARD here. There is simply no telling what it has done to your system. I would simply reinstall OS X from scratch. To avoid losing your "stuff", use the "Upgrade" option when installing if possible. Do not use the "Erase and Install" option and avoid the "Archive" option unless nothing else works. At least with the Archive option, you can manually retrieve files if need be, but you do need a LOT of extra space to accommodate this option.

OP
K
Reaction score
If I only knew what all that meant.

Thank you, but I guess I'll need someone here to do that for me as I really have no clue where to start.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
Next time, IMO, if you want to clean out your Mac, the two programs that I have safely used is OnyX and AppleJack. If I were you, other than Disk Utility which comes with your OS, I would stay away from all others. Now, that's not saying that OnyX or AppleJack cannot bork your OS, but the likelihood is a lot less.

OP
K
Reaction score
If only I had known

I guess hindsight is better than no sight at all. But I am still without my Mac and have no clue how to get beyond the apple and the spin.
I don't mind starting over -- Begin the Beguine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess hindsight is better than no sight at all. But I am still without my Mac and have no clue how to get beyond the apple and the spin.
I don't mind starting over -- Begin the Beguine.

Again… you need to reinstall OS X. Don't know how? Let me google that for you

OP
K
Reaction score
Don't have it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the software to do that. I recently moved and lost a great deal of my stuff due to someone's incompetence. So, now I have to purchase it all over again?
Yes, I realize my ignorance regarding computers, but that is why I am on this site asking elementary questions. Snide remarks not needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not snide remark but you do need the system install disc of whatever your machine is running, probably Tiger OS X.4 and those discs will set you back about $100.00. If you go this way make sure you purchase the full retail install DVD which is black and not a silver/grey system disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, I don't have the software to do that. I recently moved and lost a great deal of my stuff due to someone's incompetence. So, now I have to purchase it all over again?
Yes, I realize my ignorance regarding computers, but that is why I am on this site asking elementary questions. Snide remarks not needed.

I'm not being snide. I'm showing you how to help yourself, and in a more timely manner. We can't sit here and walk you through everything step by step, and with resources far more readily available to you that would be better at it, it'd be silly to do so for something so basic, even if you are new at this.

Blu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.6.7
I had Clean My Mac on my last Mac, an iBook G4, and it didn't ever give me any problems or the friends of mine that used it. I guess we were lucky cause from the posts on here, it's the worst app to use for maintenance lol. I have a MacBook Pro now and even tho I haven't done much with it yet, after reading the comments on here, I got Onyx for in the future.

Reaction score
Greetings guys,

Thank you for your feedback about CleanMyMac, we do appreciate that.

We will also be glad to help you resolve all the issues you've faced.

Dear kccolorado that's a pity that after the cleaning process your computer stopped to boot. From my side I'd like to assure you that we are testing CleanMyMac app on different systems before releasing, and making sure that the problem like this will not appear. Moreover, CleanMyMac does not actually work with any files that are related to the bootability of Mac OS, so such requests usually end up being a coincidence.

Have you tried to boot your Mac in Safe Mode, does it work? (you should hold the Shift button while booting).

Vladimir,
MacPaw Customer Support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Steer clear of Ukraine software dealers!

Reaction score
I had Clean My Mac on my last Mac, an iBook G4, and it didn't ever give me any problems or the friends of mine that used it. I guess we were lucky cause from the posts on here, it's the worst app to use for maintenance lol. I have a MacBook Pro now and even tho I haven't done much with it yet, after reading the comments on here, I got Onyx for in the future.

I'd Install AppleJack also, Onyx is only good if you can boot to the desktop, but AppleJack can be run from single user mode.:D

Blu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.6.7
I'd Install AppleJack also, Onyx is only good if you can boot to the desktop, but AppleJack can be run from single user mode.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.