transfer files from a flash drive- did i do this right?

Reaction score
I want to know if i did this correctly/ or should i say is there an easier way. please bear with me.

1 I opened finder and click on the house which i take it is the home button.
2 I inserted the thumb drive and when it appeared on my display i clicked on it to open it.
3 so now i have 2 windows on my display , the finder window and the thumb drive window showings its contents,
4 I highlighted and drug the file from one window to the other and just dropped it say my picture file on my thumb drive to my photo folder in finder.

Did i do this correctly, i know it worked but was wondering if it was necessary to have both windows open. im so use to right clicking a file and just clicking send to documents/ my pictures on a pc. Much appreciated to the ones helping us newbies with macs :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I want to know if i did this correctly/ or should i say is there an easier way. please bear with me.

1 I opened finder and click on the house which i take it is the home button.
2 I inserted the thumb drive and when it appeared on my display i clicked on it to open it.
3 so now i have 2 windows on my display , the finder window and the thumb drive window showings its contents,
4 I highlighted and drug the file from one window to the other and just dropped it say my picture file on my thumb drive to my photo folder in finder.

Did i do this correctly, i know it worked but was wondering if it was necessary to have both windows open. im so use to right clicking a file and just clicking send to documents/ my pictures on a pc. Much appreciated to the ones helping us newbies with macs :)

Well if it's a frequent destination, you can just add your Pictures folder to your sidebar (on the left-side of the Finder window) and drag to that. If you want a "Send to" type of menu, you can actually make one to your liking. To do so, you need to get acquainted with Automator. This is a very powerful tool that gets very little recognition. Here's what you will need to do exactly for your scenario.

• Start up Automator, then select "Service" as a template.
  • Up top, towards the right, where it says "Service receives selected…", modify that so it says: "Service receives files or folder in Finder". Alternatively, if you want this action in any application that may support it, use that in lieu of Finder.
  • Next, you need to add the appropriate action. Select "Files and Folders" on the far left, then "Copy Finder Items" in the next column. Drag it over to the right, or double-click it.
  • In the action you just added, change the location in the drop-down menu to the Pictures folder. Once done, save it with a name to your liking, such as "Send to: Pictures".

Now you can right-click on any file and either at the far bottom, or on a sub-menu named "Services" (if you have 5 or more services available to you), select your new workflow and the file will be copied over to the Pictures folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.