How do I connect my iMac to my TV via airport extreme (wirelessly)?port extreme?

Reaction score
I have an iMac (2009) which I have a wireless connection to the internet via an Airport Express router. Is it possible to connect my HDTV to this so that I can watch streaming TV on my HDTV without having to move my mac into the living room and connect it directly? And if so any ideas how? My HDTV has inputs of: HDMi/DTV inputs, USB input.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not really - not yet. You should be looking at the AppleTV, Roku, WD TV Live, PS3, one of the new DVD/Blu-Ray players, Logitech Revue, etc., etc. that can connect directly to your TV and has wireless capability built in. Or build/buy a computer for a HTPC.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - that saves me lots of time scrabbling round looking for a solution that isn't there! We do have a blue ray but it is a slightly older one and I don/t think it has wireless capability. But thanks for your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It just depends on what you want to stream. I pretty much want it all and only a HTPC will do that.

If you're just looking to stream your iTunes content, then the AppleTV will do that and give you Netflix to boot.

I have tried out the Roku unit also and it's pretty nice since it has Netflix, Amazon videos, Hulu, and a score of other online content - pretty much sucks for iTunes content though.

I've been on the hunt for something to replace the HTPC that sits in my entertainment center for at least 2 years. If you want to stream anything available on the web and have access to any and every type of video that sits on your computer (without having to re-encode them all), a direct connected computer is still about the only way to go. The more limited the content on your computer and/or limited in what you're looking to stream, the more choice you'll have to accomplish what you want with the current inexpensive devices on the market.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.