Do you seperate your partitions?

A

AlexN

Most Windows users seperate their partitions, but I'm wondering if it's necessary to do that on Mac OS X? If so, which directory should I seperate? (ie, I put /usr on another partition on my Linux machine)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You really don't need to partition your disk. The folders/directories that will grow in size. is the application folder/directory and your home folder/directory. Unless you place your data else where.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would use the second disk as a scratch area and a data disk. Since I edit video. I would use the second disk for my video data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I have 2 HDD's as well, and use the one that came in the system for the Main OS to use. I use my Data Drive for Music, Photos, Video's and video editing stuff as well.

OP
A

AlexN

How do you do that? Since all your video, music data should be in /usr, and that's where it grows as the number of users grows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Well in Itunes, you point it to the directory you want to use. IE, Data Backup:mp3 <-- THis is where all my music is stored.
iPhoto is the same way, I dont import them over, I point to where they are located.
Im the only person using my Mac, so I only have 1 user.

OP
J

Jordan23

Can somebody explain partitions, and permissions thing to me?
I am New baby with this Mac stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
AlexN said:
What if I have two HDDs? What do PowerMac users who have two HDDs do?
I have 3 160GB HDDs (1 being external). I use the other 2 for scratch (as posted), back-ups, music, saved documents and so on. But one HD (External) is mainly for my photography work, movies, and production & logo work. I don't partition them. I guess that would be personal preference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.