Such a hard decision....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2012; Intel i5, Intel HD 4000, 500gb HDD, 13'' screen
I have limited my Mac options down to two options. I do like to play games and will need it for school. I could easily get by with the white MacBook, but I've convinced my parents otherwise since I like to relax and play a few FPS's during my free time. I don't have a music library so the 16GB Ipad is considerable. Here are the options:

Option 1
MacBook Pro 15"
2.3GHZ i7 (2820QM)
8GB RAM
500GB Seagate HDD
Hi Res AntiGlare Screen
AMD Radeon 6750M

$2539

Option 2
MacBook Pro 15"
2.2GHZ i7(2720QM)
4GB RAM
500GB Seagate HDD
Glossy Screen
AMD Radeon 6750M

Ipad 16GB

$2498

It really comes down to this, is an Ipad and a MacBook necessary? And if I don't get one, am I really missing out on anything as a college student?

C

chas_m

An iPad CAN BE a great companion to a student, and is a pretty awesome game machine as well. You can always add more RAM later, so my vote is with Option 2.

OP
davyvfr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats probably true, but I really hope it isn't one of those things that are, "been there, done that". Its way to expensive to take home and try for a month and if I don't like it, I can't return it.

C

chas_m

If you're that unfamiliar with iPads, I'll revise my suggestion to option 1. You can always get an iPad later.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Actually, I'm not sure what's wrong with the MB you already have listed in your specs for heading off to college.

If that one is not really yours to take with you, then let's have some consideration of your parents money - unless they're growing it on trees in the back yard.

Sorry, I'd have to go with option 3, the low end 15", without an iPad.

Price is now $1699 with student discount.

Add a copy of Windows 7 to it and you're set to go.

And still way more computer than what is required for anything you'll need for school.

OP
davyvfr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Option three might work, but I am paying for most of it. I pitch in $1800 and they pay $700. They offered to pay up to $1000 in their money plus my college and I don't have to work. Its nice what straight A's gets you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Option three might work, but I am paying for most of it. I pitch in $1800 and they pay $700. They offered to pay up to $1000 in their money plus my college and I don't have to work. Its nice what straight A's gets you.

Like "bobtomay" mentioned...the MacBook you have listed in your specs/profile is a pretty decent computer. You could save everyone $$$ all-around...and just stick with what you have.:)

- Nick

p.s. Actually...looking at your specs/profile...there is no such thing as a MacBook with an i7 cpu (MacBooks only have a Core 2 Duo cpu thus far)...so you must be talking about a newer MacBook Pro. In which case...that computer would be at most just a little over 1 year-old. Seems sort of early to be upgrading already...especially on a college students budget!;)

OP
davyvfr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whoops, sorry for the confusion. I DO NOT own a MacBook. I put those specs assuming I was going to get that one. But, I saw the crappy gaming performance and said no. I raised my budget to $2598 from $2000. It gives me more freedom and extra legroom. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
whoops, sorry for the confusion. I DO NOT own a MacBook. I put those specs assuming I was going to get that one. But, I saw the crappy gaming performance and said no. I raised my budget to $2598 from $2000. It gives me more freedom and extra legroom. :)

I see...makes more sense.:)

My vote is to get the most "bang for your buck"...without over-spending.

My choice would be to get "Option #2" (but no iPad)...and upgrade the HD & ram later on as you see necessary. You could get the "anti-glare" screen as well...if that's a big deal.

Nothing wrong with the iPad. I just figure you could probably stand to save some money...and getting an iPad at the same time as a nice new MacBook Pro :)...might be "over the top" for a college student on a budget.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
I'd definitely go for2 seeing that I wouldn't need 8 gigs of RAM and the higher resolution screen. I also wouldn't mind the glossy screen as I hardly ever (I haven't) gone outside during my studies and used a computer outdoors. Of course that varies on the setup of your university and the weather of course. Florida = blazing sun.

Plus upgrades that bring a high end computer to the bleeding edge aren't "worth" as much as an iPad 2, IMO. Especially when you're a student (unless you're doing editing or design or something like that).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.