need help-iPhone 3G data recovery to sync with iPhone 4 Mac osx 10.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a tricky situation and reaching out to the community for help.

My wife lost her iPhone 3G. She has her backup files on her Macbook (osx 10.4). She purchased a new iPhone 4G and can't sync the phone to retrieve her address book, iTunes needs to be upgraded, however this cannot be done either without an OS upgradeas well. And unfortunately, she didn't sync her contacts to her address book on her Macbook. The only way to get her contacts are to extract them from the backup files.

How can this be done without purchasing an iphone backup extractor?

Thanks in advance for the help!
(boy do i wish software and os systems were backwards compatible!)

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, but that doesn't help me. Fee trial only allows for 4 contacts to be extracted max. I'm looking for a work around solution to buying software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks, but that doesn't help me. Fee trial only allows for 4 contacts to be extracted max. I'm looking for a work around solution to buying software.

Well you'll just have to do some legwork then.
+extract +iphone +backup +free - Google Search

Quite frankly, you really should just suck it up and upgrade to Snow Leopard. It's cheap, will let you manage your iPhone properly, and will completely eliminate the need to jump through hoops to get those contacts. Snow Leopard is a MUCH better OS than Tiger is.

C

chas_m

If the contacts aren't worth a few bucks to you to recover, I'm not sure why we should expend any effort either. Just sayin'.

OP
N
Reaction score
i have snow leopard available on my iMac, and can upgrade her laptop easily. However, once the OS is updated and iTunes updated, will the data files from the iPhone 3G backup without issue to the new iPhone 4G?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
i have snow leopard available on my iMac, and can upgrade her laptop easily. However, once the OS is updated and iTunes updated, will the data files from the iPhone 3G backup without issue to the new iPhone 4G?

I'm not aware of any reason it wouldn't go smoothly. But why not migrate her user over to the iMac, then sync her phone there?

And if Snow Leopard came with the iMac, then no, you can't upgrade the MacBook. The OEM discs are machine-specific.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks lifeisabeach! that was a great workaround solution. i created a new user on my imac, transferred the mobilesync folder from her macbook and restored from the backup file. easy 1,2,3.

appreciate your help, enjoy the weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.