Very happy with windows 7, still thinking about switching to Mac... need input

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Very new to the forums. I'll get straight to the point. I have used PCs my whole life and like many of you have seen them evolve. On my current machine I run Windows 7 64bit. I'm very happy with it. I also build my own pcs.
Recently during a format and reinstall a small question began nagging at me. Why do I have to do this every 6 months to a year? Why do I have to do this to keep my machine snappy? This nagging question has grown more persuasive and started a serious debate about switching to mac.

My interest in Mac hinges on two things:

1. The idea that Macs don't have a registry to muck up, and the total contents of an application are contained inside ONE folder. To uninstall that program you simply trash the folder and you're done. No leftovers. Nothing.

2. The idea that with ONE install of a Mac OS (not including upgrades of course) a mac will run the same way 5 years from the first power up.

My considering switching is based on these two things. I want a stable and responsive platform for my family that will last a long long time. If any of you can confirm, verify, and expand on the two above mentioned assumptions of macs I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
So what you waiting for, go and get one, you'll not regret it, i didn't !

tim

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I think you'll find no shortage of similar stories from folks on this forum, who switched for similar reasons. Myself, I never made it to Win 7 - if I had - who knows - perhaps I wouldn't have made the switch, but I had had more than enough after Vista and I'm glad I moved to the Mac. Constant OS maintenance becomes nothing more than an onerous chore after a while.

You'll have some things to get used to with the new OS - but learning is part of the fun. I liked it so much I bought a second new Mac just a few months later.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello everyone,

Very new to the forums. I'll get straight to the point. I have used PCs my whole life and like many of you have seen them evolve. On my current machine I run Windows 7 64bit. I'm very happy with it. I also build my own pcs.
Recently during a format and reinstall a small question began nagging at me. Why do I have to do this every 6 months to a year? Why do I have to do this to keep my machine snappy? This nagging question has grown more persuasive and started a serious debate about switching to mac.

1. The idea that Macs don't have a registry to muck up, and the total contents of an application are contained inside ONE folder. To uninstall that program you simply trash the folder and you're done. No leftovers. Nothing.

2. The idea that with ONE install of a Mac OS (not including upgrades of course) a mac will run the same way 5 years from the first power up.

My considering switching is based on these two things. I want a stable and responsive platform for my family that will last a long long time. If any of you can confirm, verify, and expand on the two above mentioned assumptions of macs I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying Mac, but in your case why not do what I did and download a Ubuntu distro and run that for a while on your PC (dual boot). It will give ~80% of OSX experience and it's free.
If you fnd you like it but don't want the maintenance and upkeep with Linux then join us in the MacWorld.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I run all 3 platforms OSX ,Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 /Unity and without a doubt
OSX is the best with Ubuntu coming in second and while Windows 7 hit third with me
it is the best Windows platform to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hello everyone,

Very new to the forums.
Welcome!!

That's what did me in also. I honestly thought I knew the answer, but over time, I have begun to realize that I actually don't know why a Windows pc will start getting slower over time. People blamed it on bloat-ware, but I used to always reinstall the OS after buying a new PC. I have to say though, even though you can run an OS consistently for, probably as long as you want, I have still reinstalled the OS because I switched hdd's/ssd's. I like clean installs when it comes to that.

That's almost true, but it's not always that easy to uninstall programs. There are programs out there that will automatically delete every file associated with that program that you want to delete, but that can also cause unintended deletions.

I'm not sure about this...but I can see it happening. Oh, wait a sec, this can happen...my G5's are a great example...the 2 most consistent computers I have ever owned.

If you want consistency, the Mac OS has been incredibly consistent, and when something did go wrong, it's usually because of something that the user has done, or something that has a quick fix.
With that said, problems can arise with OSX just as in every other OS. If your machine runs constant, your OS will run consistently. If one thing has a hiccup, so will the other.

Some people don't adapt to OSX after leaving Windows as easily, and go back because as the saying goes, OSX is so easy, it's hard!" That has proven to be the case for me many times, and I thought I knew it well! LOL!!

I recently commented on another thread about my MBP's age. I've had it now for 25 months, and I still appreciate my MBP as much as I did the first day I got it. This coming from a person that can't keep a car for more than 3 years because I get bored. I love it!

Whatever you decide, you have stumbled onto the right forum!
Wowmypostishuge...sorry.lol :)

PS: I secretly admire Ubuntu...but it doesn't like me back:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Not saying its typical but I'm on my 4th re-install of osx on a 2011 MBP, all at the request of Apple to repair the computer. Its to the point that my computer is working and I'm not installing any more Apple updates.

I still run several w7 machines along with a second MBP for my wife.

OSX is fine, but not earth shattering or game changing in my opinion but your mileage may vary. I've been less than thrilled by the hardware, but that's a different and very long story.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I never reinstall. Never. Only time was when a 6 year old hard drive died. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, never ever sleeps even.

Can't say the same with most Windows machines. And yes, I can find those machines, but a pain when I have work to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fourth re-install? Wonder why? Like dtravis7 in over twenty years of using Macs from OS 6, only have ever done two re-installs and each time a hard drive failed, one in the original LC and one, a famed DeathStar in a MDD.

Windows 7 is a much better product than XP, and if you are really satisfied, why change?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
You missed out a vital point which is crucial towards me giving you any advice.

What do you use computers for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13", 2.4GHz, 4GB), MacBook (2.4GHz, 2GB), Mac Pro (8-Core, 6GB), iPhone 4, iPad

That's quite an inordinate number of fresh installs, and far more than what should be necessary. Without knowing the exact specifications of the hardware being used, I can't provide you with a technical answer. Windows has a tendency to build up unnecessary crap, keep it stored, and then never reference back to it in the future. This being said, I happen to own a few Windows 7 powered machines and have never had to perform fresh installs as frequently as you have had to. Do I notice decreases in overall performance from time to time? Of course. This is the nature of the Windows OS.

The basic premise of removing an application is correct, and as easy as it sounds. Some applications will leave behind remnants in various directories of the system, so you will need to do some manual digging from time to time. Nothing strenuous. ;)

Absolutely. A well-maintained, finely-tuned Mac will run beautifully regardless of its age. In addition to my late-model Macs, I also frequently use my 13" MacBook purchased mid-2008 (running OS X Snow Leopard) and it has never let me down. Still runs as well as it did when I had first purchased it. You are going to enjoy your Mac for many years if you keep it clean and up-to-date.

Just don't try to rip the thing open in an effort to make upgrades without having the knowledge to do so beforehand. You can end up doing more harm than good.

You won't be disappointed. I am confident that you will find the OS X platform much more enjoyable in comparison to your current Windows machine. Be warned, though - once you make the switch, any headaches or stress that you had been experiencing while using Windows will vanish. You will find yourself actually enjoying the computer as opposed to fighting with it every single minute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Fourth re-install? Wonder why? Like dtravis7 in over twenty years of using Macs from OS 6, only have ever done two re-installs and each time a hard drive failed, one in the original LC and one, a famed DeathStar in a MDD.

Windows 7 is a much better product than XP, and if you are really satisfied, why change?

After years of doing advertising photography using a PC I decided to try a Mac, I've not "changed" I still use both systems.

And yes, 4 re-installs, as prompted by Applecare. First the system was freezing may times a day and the usb ports would not work in my application. There are OS upgrades and two two re-installs and still the USB is dodgy at best, I won't take a MBP on location and do production work as it is not reliable.

The the system failed to wake from sleep, and a third reinstall. Finally the last round of updates broke the computer to NEC monitor connection, and once again a re-install was needed to get it back, this time leaving out the updates.

I don't think I'm going to install any more OS or other updates on this thing....

This is since the introduction of the 2011 MBP back in March?

I use the mbp daily and it works great for email, web surfing etc. I just won;t use it for photo processing or retouching as I'm still way faster on a W7 platform and time is money. And given the crappy usb performance ( don't ask about the 2010 MBP) I won't take a MBP to a location shoot where need to tether my camera in a reliable manner.

I keep using this thing every day, thinking I'll find it faster or better. Maybe I will.....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are many pros here at Mac forums that do not seem to have your issues with their MBP.. I wonder why?

Either you have a defective machine or something is bring overlooked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
After years of doing advertising photography using a PC I decided to try a Mac, I've not "changed" I still use both systems.

And yes, 4 re-installs, as prompted by Applecare. First the system was freezing may times a day and the usb ports would not work in my application. There are OS upgrades and two two re-installs and still the USB is dodgy at best, I won't take a MBP on location and do production work as it is not reliable.

The the system failed to wake from sleep, and a third reinstall. Finally the last round of updates broke the computer to NEC monitor connection, and once again a re-install was needed to get it back, this time leaving out the updates.

I don't think I'm going to install any more OS or other updates on this thing....

This is since the introduction of the 2011 MBP back in March?

I use the mbp daily and it works great for email, web surfing etc. I just won;t use it for photo processing or retouching as I'm still way faster on a W7 platform and time is money. And given the crappy usb performance ( don't ask about the 2010 MBP) I won't take a MBP to a location shoot where need to tether my camera in a reliable manner.

I keep using this thing every day, thinking I'll find it faster or better. Maybe I will.....
I suspect a hardware problem and no amount of installs or updates will fix
that never heard of anyone having that much issues with a Mac and I sure would take it back if its acting up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I suspect a hardware problem and no amount of installs or updates will fix
that never heard of anyone having that much issues with a Mac and I sure would take it back if its acting up.
Actually, I agree. I have no such issues on my 11MBP. Doing (likely) many of the same things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are many pros here at Mac forums that do not seem to have your issues with their MBP.. I wonder why?

Either you have a defective machine or something is bring overlooked.

I've had FOUR different machines. a 2010 15" a 2011 13" and we now have 2-2011 15".

The 2010 15" was returned because is simply would not connect my cameras. I went to the 2011 2.2 15 and this machine has been a real problem. The four re-installs have been on the 2011 2.2 15"

My wife got the 2011 13" and it would not wake from sleep on a regular basis. That one when back after Applecare was unable to help via phone. She then got a 2011 15" 2.0. That machine has the same USB problems as the 2011 15 2.2. She has not done any re-installs, but the wireless drops all the time.

I'm simply not impressed with the Apple hardware at this point. I've been a power used doing high end digital imaging for a lot of years and I've never had these kinds of computer problems... ever.

I have a ton invested in these machines..time, and money...and I've not seen a decent return yet.

Like I said in my original post I'm not claiming my experience to be typical but the raw number of complaints on the 2011 MBP on the Apple forum tells me I'm not alone.

I am amazed at this experience quite frankly. I was expecting way better. I've got no real big beefs with the os, its fine...different than windows to be sure but it works.

The hardware....not so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

This has been my experience. I bought the MacBook I'm typing this post on in February 2008. It originally ran Leopard. In August of 2009, I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Next month, I'm buying Lion. Nearly three-and-a-half years after I bought it, this machine still runs great – as good as new, in fact. The only time I ever reinstalled the OS was when I put in a new hard drive and upgraded to Snow Leopard. That's it. You'll probably have the same experience if you buy a Mac for yourself.

OP
W
Reaction score
So application deletion is not as cut and dry as it appears to be? What is left in the cache? Also how easy is system maintenance. How easy is it to keep the computer running like new even with many applications installed?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh my. All I can say.

C

chas_m

So application deletion is not as cut and dry as it appears to be?

No, it's pretty cut and dry (ie throw app into trash, empty trash) with three exceptions:

1. Pro apps tend to install components in various places, and usually come with an uninstaller that should be used when trying to uninstall.

2. System utilities often need (and come with) an uninstaller to uninstall properly. Menu items and other apps that run startup or background daemons will need to be deactivated in login items before being fully uninstalled.

3. Obsessive-compulsive people who won't even tolerate an inert 4K preference file on their system need an "App Zapper" type application to feed their disorder. :)

What is left in the cache?

Nothing in the cache, don't know what you mean by cache. Often a 4K-12K preference file is left behind. So what. It's inert. Sometimes a similarly small file is left behind in Application Support. Again, not an issue, cannot interfere with other apps, not worth the hunt IMO.

Also how easy is system maintenance. How easy is it to keep the computer running like new even with many applications installed?

It's a freakin' DREAM compared to Windows. Occasionally (as in "every month? Every three months maybe?") you might want to run something like OnyX to tidy up caches and keep things running smoothly, and much more importantly remember to leave lots of free space on the boot drive ("lots" in this case meaning at least 20GB or more). That's really about it. PC people never believe me when I say that, but it's true.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.