Very happy with windows 7, still thinking about switching to Mac... need input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I've had FOUR different machines. a 2010 15" a 2011 13" and we now have 2-2011 15".

The 2010 15" was returned because is simply would not connect my cameras. I went to the 2011 2.2 15 and this machine has been a real problem. The four re-installs have been on the 2011 2.2 15"

My wife got the 2011 13" and it would not wake from sleep on a regular basis. That one when back after Applecare was unable to help via phone. She then got a 2011 15" 2.0. That machine has the same USB problems as the 2011 15 2.2. She has not done any re-installs, but the wireless drops all the time.

I'm simply not impressed with the Apple hardware at this point. I've been a power used doing high end digital imaging for a lot of years and I've never had these kinds of computer problems... ever.

I have a ton invested in these machines..time, and money...and I've not seen a decent return yet.

Like I said in my original post I'm not claiming my experience to be typical but the raw number of complaints on the 2011 MBP on the Apple forum tells me I'm not alone.

I am amazed at this experience quite frankly. I was expecting way better. I've got no real big beefs with the os, its fine...different than windows to be sure but it works.

The hardware....not so much.

Curious are you running some kind of third party software for the cameras
on all these Mac's. That was the beauty part about my Mac all my friends could hook their camera up and we could download photos and video without a hassle the brands include several Nikon's,Canon's and one Panasonic camcorder and I just have the iLife suite.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well said Chas. Thanks for posting that. That sums it up quite nicely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Curious are you running some kind of third party software for the cameras
on all these Mac's. That was the beauty part about my Mac all my friends could hook their camera up and we could download photos and video without a hassle the brands include several Nikon's,Canon's and one Panasonic camcorder and I just have the iLife suite.

Of course its third party software. i have a number of programs to tether, and by that I mean not just downloading files but full camera control and display of images as they are shot.

I can use Canon EOS Utility, Breeze DSLR Pro and Phase One Capture 1 Pro V6. All will provide complete camera control and all work flawlessly on windows boxes. None of them work flawlessly on any MBP that Ive run them on. Cameras include Canon 1DsMKIII, 5dII, 5D, 7D, T2i, T1i.

I get crashes with them all that require a total restart, re-connect the camera and re-launch everything else that was running. Needless to say that does not promote a professional image when you have clients and agency people all around. Not to mention the frustration and that's the last thing you need during a pressure shoot.

I've had a lot of good natured ( and some not so good natured) ribbing from the all Mac all the me agency folks and more than one AD who complain they just can't work in Windows....even though they love the files I send. So I'm trying the Mac thing, and its been less than fun.

Again I'm not saying my experience is typical, it just is what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13", 2.4GHz, 4GB), MacBook (2.4GHz, 2GB), Mac Pro (8-Core, 6GB), iPhone 4, iPad
So application deletion is not as cut and dry as it appears to be? What is left in the cache? Also how easy is system maintenance. How easy is it to keep the computer running like new even with many applications installed?

Nothing is left in the cache, but rather, minuscule remnants are sometimes left behind in various directories as chas_m had mentioned above. I apologize if my wording earlier was confusing. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Go grab a mac; you won't be disappointed. I've yet to crash OS X even once, and I'm a crazy multitasker/power user. I crashed my Windows PC's on an almost weekly basis - I do hear that Windows 7 is a lot better about stability, though.

Your registry comment is absolutely correct. Very little system maintenence (if any) is required to keep a Mac running smooth day in and day out.

Reaction score
Recently during a format and reinstall a small question began nagging at me. Why do I have to do this every 6 months to a year? Why do I have to do this to keep my machine snappy? This nagging question has grown more persuasive and started a serious debate about switching to mac.

This is affectionately known as 'Windows Rot' - although Microsoft deny this happens - we've all experienced it and re-installing your OS and all your programs can offer a serious speed increase on your computer. With programs dumping temp files all over the place and installing numerous .dll files in the Windows System32 folder no wonder it gets clogged up!

Doesn't happen with a Mac. Programs are separate to the OS so there's no need to constantly re-install the OS. With Windows, when you upgrade to a new OS, the best thing to do is format and start again with the new upgrade to clear out all the rot, not necessary with a Mac! :)

I want a stable and responsive platform for my family that will last a long long time.

Then a Mac is right up your street and as a switcher myself, I thoroughly recommend them and trust me, you wont regret it nor look back at your Windows machines!

:)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Of course its third party software. i have a number of programs to tether, and by that I mean not just downloading files but full camera control and display of images as they are shot.

I can use Canon EOS Utility, Breeze DSLR Pro and Phase One Capture 1 Pro V6. All will provide complete camera control and all work flawlessly on windows boxes. None of them work flawlessly on any MBP that Ive run them on. Cameras include Canon 1DsMKIII, 5dII, 5D, 7D, T2i, T1i.

I get crashes with them all that require a total restart, re-connect the camera and re-launch everything else that was running. Needless to say that does not promote a professional image when you have clients and agency people all around. Not to mention the frustration and that's the last thing you need during a pressure shoot.

I've had a lot of good natured ( and some not so good natured) ribbing from the all Mac all the me agency folks and more than one AD who complain they just can't work in Windows....even though they love the files I send. So I'm trying the Mac thing, and its been less than fun.

Again I'm not saying my experience is typical, it just is what it is.

This kind of thing, unfortunately happens, most typically with third party limited application packages. But, if you are the one who needs the package to work it's a big deal.
I remember a similar thread from a couple of years back (another photographer) and he couldn't get the setup he was using to play nice and the vendor was zero help.
So, yes, your experience is atypical but worth hearing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.