Would this work?? Or am I just CRAZY! PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
So I am a complete noob when it comes to computers/Macs. I have an older Mac mini I am looking to upgrade. I can do the following for less than $300 and I think it will be worth it. But I have no idea if I can actually do this with an older Mini. I know the processor is upgradeable but I don't know the limits. Also to my understanding the maximum amount of RAM is 2GB with the current "Factory installed" processor, but if I upgrade the processor does that maximum increase?

This is what I currently have:

2006 mac mini with a: 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo Processor and 2Gb Ram (2x1GB)

This is what I want to do:

Replace the processor with: Intel C2D T7600 - 2.33 GHz 4MB L2 Cache - SL9SD

Replace the RAM to: 8GB 2X4GB DDR3

IS THIS POSSIBLE????

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure to what extent you can upgrade that model Mini but the folks at ifixit have videos on how to upgrade and what will work. iFixit: The free repair manual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Wait for other responses since I am a novIce user.

First thoight is no to both.

The processor-CPU-is usually soldered to the mother board-logic board Inz macs- that would require extreme technical skill in my opinion as well as very particular types of tools.

As for the RAM- refer to this site
Apple Mac mini Specs (All Mac mini Technical Specs) @ EveryMac.com

And your machine is here
Mac mini "Core Duo" 1.66 Specs (Early/Late 2006, MA206LL/A*, Macmini1,1, A1176, 2108) @ EveryMac.com

It seems your out of luck. You would be better served with a New Mini/ or a used one from the Apple online store. They change their stock all the time on there, and some of them would be starting at about 550. Which isn't much over your above figure.
If you scroll down to the chart and find the ram area you'll read:
""Standard RAM:512 MB Maximum RAM:2 GB
Details:512 MB of RAM is installed as two 256 MB modules, no slots free.""

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
First of all, I am not recommending this. I've never tried it, and I have no idea what the results will be. That being said, I found Merom Mac Mini Hack describing the process and results of replacing the processor with the one you suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Here are reports on the successful upgrading, and one includes to a 2.33GHz CPU. It may not be a cheap option and a pre-loved 2.33 Mini may work out cheaper. There is a link to the guide on how to do it at the end of paragraph one.

Mac Mini Core 2 Duo CPU Swaps (2006-2008 minis)

MacTracker reports maximum memory is 2GB, but you may like to try more and cross your fingers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.