iCloud's impact on data usage...

Reaction score
Just checking out some of the RSS feeds from CNET this morning and came across this article from 'Dear Maggie'.

Ask Maggie: Wait for iPhone 5 or take Verizon's unlimited data? | Signal Strength - CNET News

In the write-up, the questioner ponders if he should go ahead and get Verizon's unlimited plan b4 it goes away, or wait for the reputed iPhone 5 to arrive on the scene.

In the course of her response, Maggie says this:

Most people don't use more than 2GB of data per month. So even though you may feel compelled to rush over to Verizon Wireless now for the unlimited data plan, most likely you'll be fine without it. So I wouldn't make any rash decisions just because you want to hold onto your unlimited data plan.

That got me thinking about data usage. First of all, I think she is absolutely correct in that the vast majority of people don't approach 2GB worth of data transfer/month.

BUT...

Once iCloud is up and running and updates and syncing are primarily taking place via the cloud rather than through a physical computer, will that change? Will people be using drastically more cell bandwidth, or will most of those transfers happen via WiFi?

I've been on AT&T's unlimited plan since day 1, so I'm not worried, but I am curious to see what others think the impact--if any--will be.
mathews_thinking.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I already effectively have the services they're offering. My data usage is no where close to 2Gb/mo. That being said, I too have a forever-unlimited account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Unless Apple completely removes the 20MB limit from OTA downloads (the limit currently in place for iTunes downloads on iOS), the majority of updates will continue to be via WiFi only. I have a 2GB/mo data plan on my iPhone, and the most I've used is about 1.8GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would disagree. Heavy usage of cloud features, especially music and video streaming will impact some users. How much remains to be seen and depends on how efficiently the streaming service works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Not wanting to highjack your thread. But I just have one question.... Is there a charge to use iCloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Only if you use more than 5 GB of space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.