"Service Battery"

Reaction score
Yesterday I was using my MacBook Pro watching a video, all of a sudden my MBP's screen turns black and the sleep light turns on and then eventually dies out... I go and get my MagSafe, plug it in. Everything seems fine. I press the start button, nothing seems out of the ordinary. Once it starts up, I noticed the percentage of the battery wasn't going up very fast.

So, I clicked on the battery bar at the top and it said "Service Battery".

Now, my MBP took the normal amount of time to charge, so it charged and I left it fully charged plugged in for about 2 hours.

I then unplugged the computer and all of a sudden the message disappeared. It hasn't appeared since. OS X is saying the battery is in normal condition and the battery health went back up to 91% (it went down to 72% at the time of the "Service Battery" warning). I just finished charging it again and the message did not appear.

So, is my battery okay, or should I get it serviced?

It's only year and a few months old. I did not get AppleCare, which I regret now.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your battery is probably OK, but you should keep an eye on it. I suggest using the free battery monitoring application "coconutBattery". It's free and will monitor the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
I had something similar on my MacBook after I upgraded to SnowLeapard. Ended up bringing the laptop to my local apple store and they gave me a new battery. If your MacBook is less than a year old then you should be covered by the regular warranty.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Calibrate the battery every once in awhile - maybe once a month.

That warning auto appears when the battery max charge capacity reaches below a certain percentage of the original maximum. They want you to buy a new battery of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.