Cheap places to get a Macbook

IJM

Reaction score
So here's my dilemma - I'm considering replacing my 3+ year old Macbook Pro since it's getting older. The actual operating system works perfectly fine, but from time to time a piece like the battery or logic board or monitor casing will crap out, and now that my warantee's expired I don't want to pay top dollar at the Apple Store to get the thing repaired. I figured cutting my losses and just getting a new machine will help save money in the long run.

I'm also pretty broke and need my laptop for work (I'm a self-employed freelance illustrator/graphic artist).

So one question I have is, are there any reputable places, either online or in a physical store, where one can get a Macbook for much cheaper than at the Apple Store?

OR

Is there any way Apple can do a flex payment plan? Can they do it if you have no credit/limited credit? (I'm a recent college grad and that's something I'm working on, but I don't know if it'd make that much of a difference).

Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
A couple of options here - Apple does have an instant credit app in the store, where if approved, you can print the approval out, take it to the register and complete your purchase. A sales associate can help guide you through that process. I believe it's either 90-days or six months same as cash. Best Buy has an online credit approval process, and they offer 18 months same as cash on purchases of $429 or more.

As far as cheaper prices on Macs, you can check refurbished units from Apple, but most folks who sell new units will be within a few dollars of Apple. That's based on sales agreements with 3rd party vendors.

C

chas_m

Short answer: other than Apple's own refurb store, you're not going to find a new Mac ANYWHERE that's substantially lower than Apple's own price -- unless you count Ebay/Craigslist scammers who will just rip you off.

Reaction score
If you qualify, Apple does have a Government store which appears to have discounts on some of their products.

I'm a retired Army Vet and should qualify for their prices. I'm looking at a 15" Macbook Pro with 2.2MHz, HR A/G display 500GB 7200 rpm hard drive. :D :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The government discounts are the same as those for students. Also, AAFEES stocks Mac machines at their stores or on line offering the same discount. Actually it's a better deal because there is no sales tax.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.