Porting iTunes windows information to Mac

smx

Reaction score
My windows laptop has finally bit the dust and I'm contemplating jumping on the mac train!

With that said, I have years of iTunes information (playcounts, ratings, date of add) associated within iTunes that I'd like to preserve and take with me to a new computer.

So the question is, is this at all entirely possible? I'm comfortable writing code myself to perform the lookups and alterations between two different files. However,I haven't found anything in my searches thus far that let's me know what I can actually edit (if anything).

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
It's been a little while, but if I recall, Windows writes the iTunes folder to My Music. If you copy that folder in its entirety to the Mac and place it in the Music folder, replacing the iTunes folder that's there, you should be able to launch iTunes, have it rebuild the database and keep on trucking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
agreed.... though I think it's the contents of the iTunes Music folder on Windows you need.

OP
S

smx

Reaction score
It's been a little while, but if I recall, Windows writes the iTunes folder to My Music. If you copy that folder in its entirety to the Mac and place it in the Music folder, replacing the iTunes folder that's there, you should be able to launch iTunes, have it rebuild the database and keep on trucking.

Thanks Even, I've used that method before when I would reformat my computer. As long as the files were in the same path, it works like a charm.

If/When I move to the Mac, I know for sure it won't be able to find any of the files since well, different file structures! Now I know if it was reaaaalllly patient, I could probably click on every file and point it towards the right directory, but that would take an excessively long time. This is the scenario I'm trying to account for.

Just an FYI -- I do have the library files backed up on an external even though my main machine is dead :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.