modify keyboard shortcut for bold

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to modify the keyboard shortcut for Bold in all applications. I use the usual method (Sys Prefs, Keyboard, Keyboard Shortcuts, etc.) to set it to shift-cmd-b. When I test it in Mac Mail, it works fine. However, when I test it in Pages, it does not toggle. Rather, it will set the text to bold, but not subsequently unbold it. I've searched the web up and down with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's because applications such as Pages and MS Word already have a shortcut mapped for Bold. If you press "Command B" in Pages or Word it will bold and unbold. You can try to set it up - but this time use "Applications Shortcuts" instead. Not sure if it will override the shortcut key for bold in Pages. Should be easy enough to test.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm aware of the pre-existing default of cmd-b in applications such as Pages to toggle bold/unbold. I'm trying to set it to shift-cmd-b instead.

I used "Application Shortcuts" in the first place. Were you perhaps referring to specifying Pages as the Application (instead of All Applications)? I tried both ways with the same result.

To reiterate my problem: it implements bold correctly in other applications (such as Mail), where it toggles bold/unbold. However, in Pages, it sets it only to bold, but does not toggle (i.e does not unbold selected text).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears that Pages is hard coded for Command B and doesn't respond to changing the shortcut. I'm surprised that it works to bold with shift command B. BTW, same thing with MS Word. (I have both Pages and Word)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.