Full signal and IP but no internet

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been using my mbp without many problems until lately when I moved into a new house with friends and now my internet connection seems to be intermittent at best. I have a full signal from the router and also have an IP address. For some reason it seems to work ok in one room but anywhere else it seems to go in and out...mostly out!

Have tried turning router on and off many times with no help. Have also tried turning airport on and off which seems to help bring internet back sometimes but then drops again soon after.

My house has friends using a mac desktop and ipad both can access the internet with no probs.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. Welcome to the forum.

Couple of questions:
1. When you lose connection to the internet do you lose the signal and IP as well?
2. download and run iStumbler. it will show you if you have other wireless network in the area that could be causing interference (check the channel it shoes you use and the channel others use)

Post back.

Reaction score
Is your friends connection in your list of preferred networks? If so, I would remove it all together and then add it again. I had a similar problem and adding it as it was new helped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.