OS-X color printing KAPUT!!!

Reaction score
I sure hope someone can help me.

A couple of months ago my color printing started looking terrible.......dull, washed-out and grainy. It only got worse from there. Anything printed from iphoto turned out garish high-contrast red/yellow/black, while Preview continued to print out the same dull, washed-out and grainy.

This week I downloaded some of my photos and took them to a print shop. They printed out beautifully. So it is not the camera that is the problem.

Tonight I hooked up the HP Photosmart c4400 printer I got free with this laptop a year ago. It printed nothing but magenta and black. And even that is grainy. Given that 2 printers won't print correctly, both old and new printers, I don't think it is a printer problem.

I think it must be OS-X!

Please HELP!!!

I need color prints for my work, so this is really getting to be a problem!

OP
S
Reaction score
color printing KAPUT!!!

This is like trying to solve a mystery. The camera is not the problem, because I could transfer photos onto a disc and print out beautifully at a print shop. And I'm pretty satisfied that it is not printers that are the problem.

I just printed out a test page on my old hp printer. A bit grainy, but the color is great! Nothing like the color results I get from iphoto or preview.......which are terrible, whether I use the old or new hp printers.

I think it must be the OS-X. The more I think about it, the problems may have started when I downloaded an upgrade.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need to check your printer settings.

20110624-8k5r9fmfh8uqsduwd8gfqq73p3.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you.
But I don't have a page that looks like that.

BTW......I used this hp printer for years with a desktop Mac and a previous Mac with no problems! I think my printing problems started when I downloaded a Mac update a couple of months ago. A security update, I think it was.

Printing gone haywire since then!
And I'm an artist who needs good print quality for submission to shows.

Please help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.