Hol old should I go if I want a used Mac Pro?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm still new to the Mac community so forgive if this sounds crazy or has been asked. :)

I have an old G5 tower that's great for the basics but now that the LION OS is coming out I want something that has an intel processor with more power [I want to run Final Cut and Light-room among others] - but I don't have a lot of cash.

I'm thinking about getting a used MacPro 3.1 I've seen versions with a 2.8GHZ or a 3.0GHZ chip my question is say i maxed out the RAM how much time [years] do you think I'd get out of it with the LION OS.

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
You'd probably get quite a few years out of it. It has a benchmark rating of 7977. But you may not want to max out the ram, it can take up to 32GB. And that would probably be very expensive. ;)

Reaction score
Be weary about used mac pros! I know at my office we work the crap out of them. Make sure you get as much info as you can because you could be getting a computer that was really worked hard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion keep an eye on Apple's Refurbished gear - appears on their web site. My Mac Pro was purchased at Elk Grove CA and shipped to Australia and has been a beauty and not much dearer than used Mac Pros at the time.

Course has been upgraded heavily since then. New processors, graphics etc etc. You should look to getting at least five years from the 3.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.