Mac Mini not booting

Reaction score
I have a MAC Mini that when I plug in the power cord, the fan spins up at full blast and nothing else happens. No light on the front no booting. Is it brick or is there a way I can fix it?!?! Thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't have another MAC Mini to try that with. I am a PC person. In a situation with PC's I can do things to narrow it down. But with a MAC Mini I don't have spare parts to test different things.

Reaction score
I am not sure where to go from here. Generally when you have a HDD failure the system will still boot and you will get a folder and? icon. So you are not getting any video of any kind, just a fan spin and thats it?

Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?

My fear is mainboard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which model Mini do you have? Year and model? Which version of OS X is it running?

OP
M
Reaction score
It's the MAC Mini (Late 2005) M9687xx/B 1.5GHz G4/512MB SDRAM/80GB HD/Combo drive/ATI Radeon 9200 (64MB VRAM)/AirPort & Bluetooth built-in/no modem.

Let me also mention that it's a client Mini I am working on and unfortunately all I have is the adapter for the monitor and the power pack/cord. Client does not have any of the original DVD's or software. So I am running on the minimum. They said it was working fine and then it stopped.

So far I have verified that the sensor fan cable is plugged in. Also I tried, with power cord unplugged, plugging in the power cord while simultaneously pressing the power button; release the power button and then powered it on... (Got that from reading a website. No response.

Reaction score
Can you check the output voltage of the power supply the plugs into the computer.
if good check on board

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, I have to agree. The symptom you describe sounds very much like it's a logic board problem or main power supply. Since it's a 2005 model, it's not worth fooling with and spending a lot of money to repair. I would just advise the owner to purchase a new one.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to agree. The symptom you describe sounds very much like it's a logic board problem or main power supply. Since it's a 2005 model, it's not worth fooling with and spending a lot of money to repair. I would just advise the owner to purchase a new one.

.....and send me the old one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.