Can't play wmv.lnk files...can't be supported by Mac OS?

Reaction score
I apologize if this is the wrong place for this thread, but I'm new to the Mac OS, so I was wondering anyone can figure this out. I have some files that I copied over from my told windows OS; they're video files saved as wmv.lnk. I initially assumed that since they're wmv, I can play them using Flip4Mac for Quicktime, but I downloaded that and it still can't play these files...does anyone know why?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OP
P
Reaction score
this doesn't work either, but maybe I did it wrong...when I downloaded it, it's installed onto system preferences. Then I tried to play those files again from quicktime...did I miss a step?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, you didn't miss anything. Perian should have installed an icon in System Preferences under "Other". When you click on the icon and then on the "about" tab it will show that it supports the Windows Medial File format version 1 and 2.

Are you sure the files are WMV and do not work with Flip4Mac installed? You said the files are video and saved as wmv.lnk? Have you tried to change them to video.wmv from video.wmv.lnk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
.lnk files are windows shortcut files, not actual video files.

Hence the reason Perian didn't solve the issue.

right-click the file and choose Get Info. How big are the files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.