• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Mac App Store enhancements for Lion

Reaction score
I just downloaded the 10.68 update

Hi, I am wondering if others are going to wait to download Lion until it's been around awhile. I want to see what bugs it has, and the fixes are ready for those bugs, before I jump in.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you create a SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner back up first you have the best of both worlds.

Install it the day it comes out and check it out. Meanwhile if you only have 1 or 2 not often used apps not compatible, you still can boot to your backup. If it's worse than that, you're talking about spending an hour to restore your drive back to SL and wait until your apps or bugs are worked out.

Whatever happens on someone else's machine is really no indication of what may/may not happen on yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Doug, Part of the update (Not all but part) is a new App Store application. That makes downloading and purchasing Lion possible.

Others are missing that there are other things updated in this update besides just the App Store. For those updates alone you should download and install the update. It fixed two issues I had with 10.6.7 in fact.

Ah ha... I didn't realize that was the connection between the App Store and Lion. Thanks for pointing that out.

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Remember, you do not have to upgrade to Lion. I upgraded to 10.6.8 because of many fixes and security updates. The App Store you don't have to even use if you do not want to.

BTW, I will be buying Lion, but dual booting as I have many apps and games that need Rosetta. I will use Lion for the rest and also be able to learn the new features so I can better help here on Mac Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Guess I don't "get it". Why and how is 10.6.8 preparation for Lion, when Lion is supposed to be an whole new OS to begin with? Especially given that we'll be able to do fresh installs? Color me confused.

Doug

A whole new OS? Huh? It's a major update but not a whole new OS. What's so hard to understand about updates in prep for Lion?

Reaction score
275.3MB for me too - not quite sure what it's updated to make it 'Lion Ready' but I like to keep my Mac up-to-date so I downloaded it. 30 minutes later and the update was complete.

It's going to take forever to download the 4GB Lion OS when it comes out :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Not sure what it did to the App Store but the graphics are better and faster with 10.6.8, so thanks to Apple for that.

In particular, EVE Online had just released Incarna last week, which was very slow on my 2008 iMac. This was running 10.6.6. I updated to 10.6.8 and now it runs much better. Nice timing Apple :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.