No optical drive but need to do fresh install - HELP!!!

Reaction score
I replaced the optical drive with a data doubler kit in my MBP to add some harddrive space as the stock 250g SSD just wasn't big enough. I assumed that my external Macbook Air Superdrive would work to replace my now non-existent optical drive but just found out it does not!!!!

I've sold my laptop and need to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard on the harddrive, but I'm not sure how to do it now that the Superdrive does't work.

Any ideas? I still have the MBP optical drive so can re-install it if I have to - but I reallllllllyyyyy don't want to do that again.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, so I followed the instructions for remote install and was able to get the borrowed optical drive/install CD available on my network(or so the computer advised "The disc is now available on your network" ...I couldn't see it on my network however) - but didn't know what else to do from that point. These are the instructions I followed:

Use Remote Install Mac OS X on another computer whose optical disc drive you want to share to do one of the these tasks on your MacBook Air or Mac mini:

Reinstall Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server, or other software that came with your computer
Reset your password
Use Disk Utility to repair the hard disk
Note: You can also do these tasks using a MacBook Air SuperDrive (available separately from Apple). If your MacBook Air came with the MacBook Air Software Reinstall Drive, use that to reinstall the operating system, iLife, or iWork applications.

To use Remote Install Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server:
Insert the Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server Install Disc into the optical disc drive of the other computer.
If the other computer is a Mac, open /Applications/Utilities/Remote Install Mac OS X. On Windows, choose "Remote Install Mac OS X" from the Install Assistant.
Read the introduction and click Continue.
Choose the install disc you want to use, and click Continue.
Choose a network connection: AirPort, if you are using an AirPort network, or Ethernet, if the other computer is on an Ethernet network and you have an optional Apple USB Ethernet Adapter connecting your MacBook Air or Mac mini to the same network. Click Continue.
Restart your MacBook Air or Mac mini and hold down the Option key as it starts up, until you see a list of available startup disks.
Click Continue in Remote Install Mac OS X.
If you chose AirPort as your network in step 5, on your MacBook Air or Mac mini choose your AirPort network from the pop-up list.
If the network is secure, you will be prompted for a password. You can enter a private network name by choosing the ellipsis (...) and typing the name.
If you chose AirPort as your network in step 5, when you see the AirPort status icon indicating signal strength, click Continue in Remote Install Mac OS X.
You can now reinstall software, reset your password or run Disk Utility using instructions from the User's Guide.

Even the noted guide says "You can now reinstall software, reset your password, etc..... but it doesn't say how I can go about doing that.....anyone able to give me a step by step please!? I'm supposed to be sending this computer out in the mail tomorrow but need to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard before shipping! I did try to remove the spare drive and reinstall the optical but cannot find my Torx screwdriver so this is no longer an option!

Thanks for your help!

OP
N
Reaction score
BUMP - any ideas? I cannot figure this out. Is the remote installation available for all macs or just for the macbook air/mac mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a read of cwa107's thread which is excellent advice.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes that sounds great. I'm up in the Arctic, I have no stores available to me as I'm in a fly in community. So I am unable to buy any kind of external USB drive at this time.

Any other suggestions? If I can't do a fresh install, anyone know of any links that will tell me what I need to erase on the computer to essentially take all of my info off of the computer? Pref files, account info, etc....

OP
N
Reaction score
BUMP - ?????? Anyone have an idea how I can wipe the drive???? The remote thing is not working - or as I noted I'm not sure what to do once I get to the end of the instructions......

If I can't do that I need to know what I need to erase on the computer to make it 'appear' as if a fresh install was done, at the very least ridding it of my personal information.

HELP! Please!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.