Word 2004: Cannot see footnotes After Conversion from .docx

Ike

Reaction score
I converted two .docx files to a .doc files using Batch DocX Converter version 1.3 (Docx to Doc Converter on Mac | Batch Docx Converter).

The original .docx file had footnotes; but after conversion, on my newly converted .doc file, footnotes are invisible, and under the "View" menu panel, Footnotes is grayed out/not an option. This is true in both the Normal and Page Layout view options.

I retried converting the original .docx's using Microsoft Open XML File Converter for Mac, version 1.2.0, and the footnotes can be viewed. (However, this converter converts the .docx file to a .rtf, which I am trying to change but having trouble with.)

Although I'm never going to use Batch DocX Converter again, I direly need to make the footnotes visible on two manuscripts I converted using it, since I've already edited and commented on them and need to send them to my senior editor. My gut instinct tells me they exist on these documents, but are for some reason trapped, hidden. Anyone have any clues? :Cool:

MacBook
OSX 10.6.7
Microsoft Word 2004 Version 11.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Ike suggest Office 2011 may well be the go. And if you go to Lion, reports are Office 2008 is also made obsolete.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.