Complete newbie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Well, I made the jump... scared to death.... but kiss and jumped out the plane....

So, where do i start to learn how to use my new IMac??

I got the base 1199 version from apple..

Have installed no new hardware/software....

Please point me in the right direction...

I will be doing a bunch of video ( IMovie 11) and basic web surfing and things...

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Doh, sorry, meant to post the link to the videos... Apple - Support - Videos

Otherwise, just play with it. There's little chance you're going to permanently break anything. Download some free apps from the App Store. Manage some photos in iPhoto. Rip some CDs in iTunes. Just do things you would normally do, and you'll be amazed how much more comfortable you become.

At some point, you might want to consider doing a Google search for Mac User Groups (MUGs) in your area. Typically, these groups are very informal, and range from the novice users to rocket scientists (literally, in my last group). These groups have the benefit of providing collected experiences from all walks of life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forum and the world of Apple Mac . . . .

Have a few links for you yoo look through for now . . .
Mac Switching 101
Mac 101
MacTricksAndTips ~ 100 Essential Mac Apps
Mac OS Menu Bar Items
Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts
Mac downloads ~ Apple

So there is a bit of reading there. As i goes for Apps we dont know what you are into, but ill list a few that most people have and you can look them up in the 100 Essential Apps URL i gave ...Mind you there are a heap of lovely Apps that come with your Mac too :)

Adium ~ Chat Client
Growl Notifications
SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner ~ Both make bootable copies of your HD
HandBrake ~ Video Converting
Burn ~ As it says A Burning App
Transmission ~ p2p client
Skitch ~ Screen capture and more
VLC ~ Video player that plays most codecs and does a lot more
Perian and Flip4Mac Makes watching certain codecs easier ... This is Essential IMHO
Audacity ~ Play with Music App
CandyBar ~ Mods all your icons, and dock
MainMenu or Oynx ~ Does the same as Disk utility only more thorough
Quicksilver ~ Works like Spotlight but way way better and does so much more
StuffitExpander ~ Opens Zip and rar files and more
Lil Snitch ~ Firewall type App that looks at your incoming and outgoing traffic
and last but certainly not least .....
AppTrap ~ Once installed it sits in System Preferences and deletes all associated files of anything that you put in the trash ...

Reaction score
I am a newbie too, welcome to the wonderful world of Mac.

TattooedMac has listed some great links. You may want to search the forum for my screen nick and look at the questions I have asked. Might help, might not. I'm on a learning curve!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.