Mac pro slowdown help

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 3 year ols mac pro with 14 gb ram and it used to run perfectly, recently its started to slow down and I took advice to repair disk permissions and clear cache etc but its still the same.

as a test I started a new user, logged into that user and my mac was blazing fast again,

I am assuming its a software issue ? any ideas how to resolve this or should I start from scratch with a new user which is a bit of a pain cos I will look all my setups that I love, ie preferences for Cs5 etc

Any ideas please ?

Thanks jules

C

chas_m

As you've already discovered, something that's running in the background (or perhaps a login/startup item) in your user folder is the culprit.

Helping you narrow that down, when you say it "slows down" do you mean generally (ie disk and file operations) or just in certain apps (like internet apps)?

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Chas,

Thank you .....

The slow down is not internet related more general operations such as clicking on finder and it taking a few seconds to open, or once open clicking on another folder and that takes a while to open

I really appreciate your help

Jules

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you think of anything that has been added/changed between the time the system was fine and the time you noticed the slowdown.

C

chas_m

Just to see if this makes a difference, start up in your account but in Safe Mode (hold shift key at login). If the system is suddenly all zippy again, your next step (after rebooting) is to start looking at your third-party login items, menubar items and background processes, because that's what is slowing you down.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks again Chas,

Ok i am off to photograph a wedding today but I will try that tomorrow thank you.

Again this is probably dumb, but how best do I check, login/startup programs or items?

I assume then just remove them one at a time until it corrects itself,

Thanks,

Slydude, I dont think I have added anything recently, apart from updates, I added the latest microsoft word 2011 ?

Thanks both Jules

C

chas_m

In System Preferences, click on Accounts, then your own account if it's not already highlighted, then "Login Items" and then ... actually best to just list them here and we'll tell you which ones can be safely deleted. It's kinda tricky.

If you see any login items that correspond to programs you have uninstalled, those of course you can delete (with the little "minus" key below the list).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2011, 2.53 I5, 600gb Intel SSD, 8g ram, OS 10.8.2, 27" Display
I'm new to the forum and also to Mac. Just throwing this out there, I installed Microsoft Office '11 on my Macbook Pro, the instant I did that, I noticed a considerable difference in speed and performance. Tried everything to bring it back to normal, Coincidentally, when I removed it, my Mac was back to normal. Not saying that's what wrong with yours, just a thought though. I ended up with iWork instead. LOVIN LIFE WITH MY NEW MAC!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
On a Mac Pro Office runs just fine so it will not be that as it will have no bearing if the suite is not open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.