Password protecting an external HD

Reaction score
How do I put a simple password protection on an external HD? Furthermore, how do I make it so that only other users have to input the password? :$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you were to create an encrypted DMG on your external and mount it with the password that would be saved to your keychain so would remember it from then on.

That would give you an encrypted drive and only require other users to enter a password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If you're looking for a pure hardware solution, consider looking at Apricorn drives. I have a 500gb portable drive, with AES-256 encryption and a numeric keypad to enter a pin number. The drive won't mount unless the pin is entered and even if the drive is removed from the enclosure, it's encrypted, so data recovery is virtually impossible. I'm using mine for Time Machine backups, and I love it. I work in an environment that requires full disk encryption of both internal and external drives, and it's been one of the easiest drives to work with that we've tried. No additional driver software required. The 640gb (current base model I believe) is around $130.

OP
hw96Lgb
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Unfortunately True Crypt refused to run on my mac for some reason... I have 10.6.7 if that helps.

@evenstranger Your job sounds jamesbondy. :Cool:

Reaction score
TrueCrypt works just fine on my 10.6.6 system, but I can believe it doesnt work on 10.6.7 yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.