Confused about what to do after downloading a file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
This is probably so obvious that even the newest switcher knows it but I can't find any info about it anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
Anyway, here goes. I get lots of files sent to me of documents, images etc from family, friends and workmates. They come to me as attachments to e-mails and, being safety conscious, I always run ClamXav over the file in Finder but, before that, a small screen shows up with the file title and a progress bar as the file is downloaded. The whole top line of this little screen is highlighted. When the download is complete I do a Right Click on the finished download and then click on "Show in Finder"
This is where I need to be sure that you understand which little screen I'm banging on about. It's the screen with the progress bar and NOT the Finder screen.
OK, once the file is viewable in Finder, is it safe to delete it from the screen with the progress bar?
Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Are you downloading those in a browser and the "screen" or rather window you are talking about is the "Downloads" window? In that case you'd be able to clear that list at any time and it won't affect the files. It's just a list of everything downloaded and does't represent your actual files. Those are usually safely in your downloads folder.

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I take it that you're not using Apple's Mail? For attachments in my emails, I have two buttons; one to view the attachment in Quicklook, and one to Save the attachment to Mail's Download folder. I don't get any progress bars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

If as dekan said you are referring to the downloads window re my screen shot,

then the file will be saved and in my case always the downloads folder.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you are referencing the download window pictured above (which it sounds like you are), you are free to clear that window when a download is done. Clearing it has no bearing whatsoever on the files themselves.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
oldscribe .... That image that you posted is like the one I mean except that ,ine has about 150 lines of files on it.
All the downloaded files are in Finder and also on CDs so I'll try deleting then from the window that looks like the one the oldscribe posted and see what happens, if anything, to the actual files themselves.
Thanks guys

C

chas_m

There's a preference in Safari that will clear the download window automatically once the download has successfully completed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi chas_m and 5tevie,

Should have mentioned that in my previous post. Pic is better than words sometimes,

shows my settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.