• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burn Eye TV Mpegs to Video DVD - HOW?

B

blenford

Hi there.

I recently bought an Eye TV digital terrestrial gizmo for my iMac G5. It's great, it records programmes, I watch them. Love it. Now I want to export some of them onto video DVDs to play downstairs and watch movies etc in comfort.

I thought it would be easy, and I'm usually quite good at figuring things out, but this is flummoxing me.

When I choose "export to Toast" (my version is 6.0) from Eye TV, it creates an Mpeg2 file. These files are of a sensible size - ie a 2hr movie fits is about 2GB ish, which fits on a 4.7gb DVD.

However, when I tried to burn to dvd Toast told me the file was too large, something like 7gigs. Hmm. I read a little bit, and downloaded Popcorn, which I thought would help.

But I don't know what I'm doing - i made a disc image of my files, but Popcorn said it wasn't a DVD Video disc image.

And Quicktime won't recognise Mpeg2 without a paid-for plugin.

In short - what is the best way to export from Eye TV to burn a video DVD? Eye TV can export in a bewildering array of formats - which is best? Should I toast or use iDVD? What is Popcorn actually for?

Phew. Thanks for listening!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have not had any issues with going File -> Burn DVD

OP
B

blenford

trpnmonkey41 said:
I have not had any issues with going File -> Burn DVD
How devilishly simple! I shall try when I get back home...

Ah... i wanted to put three things on the dvd, I remember now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Actually they just released a new update to the EyeTV software after I sent that message and there is a new option in the File menu called Burn with Toast. It says you need Toast 7 I think for that (which I have) and there is no exporting process and no rendering process either

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.