Problems with my macbook

Reaction score
I tried typing on my mac, but ran into the following problems-
-everything is capitalized
-when I press a number key it only types the symbol associated with it
-caps lock won't do anything-
-delete key won't work

I tried restarting my macbook and then turning it off completely, but when i went to login it did nothing. It also booted up in safe boot. I plugged a different keyboard into it, which worked just fine. When everything loaded up, my date and time were completely screwed up. Your thoughts and help with the keyboard issue would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
Just a thought, but have you checked to see if either of your SHIFT keys are stuck?
Maybe something spilled under one and has caused it to stick?
Let us know what you find. Good luck
Russ

Reaction score
well what happened? I have the same problem. all caps doesnt appear to have any keys stuck, and keeps booting up in safe boot?? help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same question to you.... did you spill any liquids on your keyboard or anywhere else on the machine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If no spills have occurred, it could be the keyboard ribbon cable has either come loose or may be failing. If you're adept at doing self repairs, take a look at the instructions for changing out the keyboard at iFixit: The free repair manual. That may help you with the disassembly so you can get at the ribbon cable.

Reaction score
thanks doesn't appear to of had spills of any sort cleaned up the underside of keyboard and will reassemble to see what happens.. thanks for the help

mac1.jpg

Reaction score
well all back together and same thing..... but if i use a ext keyboard its fine. besides booting up in safe boot unless i hold f8 then it boots normal if you can call it that.. so it seems as if the shift key is somehow stuck even tho i was in there and see nothing wrong??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you buy this new or used? Reason you were asked about spills is that is so common with issues like yours.

It sounds like a key is stuck. Could you unplug the internal keyboard then boot and see if it still comes up in Safe Mode? That I think would tell you the issue. That is what I would do if it were my machine.

Reaction score
Did you buy this new or used? Reason you were asked about spills is that is so common with issues like yours.

It sounds like a key is stuck. Could you unplug the internal keyboard then boot and see if it still comes up in Safe Mode? That I think would tell you the issue. That is what I would do if it were my machine.

yes bought it used

cant find good image of this exact model for the one to unplug.. is it #1 or #2 ?? or something different ?????

if it boots normal after that i would have to replace the ribbon or the whole keyboard ?? Thanks again for all the help

this.jpg

macsmall.jpg

Reaction score
ok well I ordered a new to me used mint shape keyboard and installed.... All is well, no more safe booting and types regular.. Thanks to the few people who started to help and then disappeared :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok well I ordered a new to me used mint shape keyboard and installed.... All is well, no more safe booting and types regular..

Congrats on getting things working!:) I think that your earlier troubleshooting (everything worked fine when using an external keyboard)…was probably the biggest clue that the MacBooks keyboard/topcase was bad.

Thanks to the few people who started to help and then disappeared :\

I'm not really sure that this "back-handed" comment was necessary.:(

- Folks help as best as they can…but if they run out of ideas…they run out of ideas.
- You also "piggy-backed" your initial post onto a 1+ year-old thread…which may not have given it the visibility you might have gotten if you started your own new thread.
- You may need help in the future…and saying things like this won't help to "endear" you to other members!;)

The important part is you got things working!!!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad to hear that solved it. I was pretty sure it would.

I for one did not disappear but ran out of ideas. I had a feeling you were unplugging the wrong cable.

And agree with Nick, always start a new thread when you need help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hesitant to suggest you were pulling the wrong cable as some users would get defensive. Sorry! :D Grin

In the end it was the keyboard and you needed a new one anyway which I was quite sure you did.

Reaction score
i guess instead of just not responding and watching waiting for something to happen.. just say I'm not sure. I'm out of ideas.. I could care less if your not 100% because neither am I! Was only looking for a little guidance in an area where I'm totally new. :\ With the quick couple of responses I thought I landed on a good spot but then was just left to use the google and thats fine because it makes you learn and can then pass on the little knowledge I have.. lol O well it worked out and now you'll have a better understanding if it happens again. oh ya #1 in my picture is the keyboard ribbon O:) 580

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.