Wireless storage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I just saw that Hitachi makes a wireless/wifi hard drive for the ipad and iphone and would like something like this for my macbook pro. I would like to have something that I can plug into the ethernet connection and access the files on it from anyone in my house. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, is there something like that out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I didn't realize that I didn't ask a question until I saw your post. That Hitachi thing is what prompted me to ask the question, it looks like it is only for ios devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If you mean this hitachi
G-Tech G-Connect Provides Wireless Portable Storage and Network Access Point | PCWorld
Then it looks like they are setup to be just a portable NAS - with connectivity to anything. (USB and Gigabit Ethernet too)

There is also the seagate drive
Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage 500GB Hard Drive Review | PCWorld

But they are all just NAS - network attached storage, at the end of the day. The novelty is that they are wireless and battery powered so you can use them with iOS devices. If you are looking for on the go functionality then the Seagate is already out, and the Hitachi is due out in July.

If you want just regular old NAS for use at home then TattooedMac is right - Time Capsule is one option (and the one I use) but there are others. Depending if you want to use Time Machine, you'll have to make sure the NAS supports AFP+

Netgear
Storage

Synology
Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage NEW NAS Experience

Drobo
Drobo - Small Box, Big Storage

Pogoplug
Pogoplug Software: Stream your photos, music and movies to the Web, your iPhone, iPad or Android AND Pogoplug Software

Buffalo
Network attached storage makes accessing and backing up your data from multiple PCs a snap | Buffalo Technology | Buffalo Technology

are a few of the options out there. Just depends on what you want to store, and how you want to access it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.