Music Subscription Service WITH offline desktop play?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been checking out some of the music subscription services out there (rdio, rhapsody, etc.) and I have a bit of a dilemma. The ones I've checked only work via streaming (whether through their website directly or through a desktop app); that is, if I leave my internet connection they all stop playing.

Are there any $10-$15 a month unlimited music subscription companies out there that will let you download music for offline listening as well? I'm assuming they would have DRM, which is fine. Bonus points of there's an Android app involved, but not strictly necessary :).

Thanks so much for the help!
- Alex

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I guess I don't understand why you'd want to PAY someone to host your music which you want to listen to offline..which essentially means you have to download the songs locally first..so this is totally not what the cloud music services is about..all of these things assume you always have an Internet connection to stream your music all over the place without having to physically copy it to every location/device..

To do what you want, you're just better of getting an iPod or something and carry your music with you..

OP
S
Reaction score
I like the streaming part, and I know that some services have Android apps. But my main reason for looking for a new service is the idea of paying $10-$15 a month and getting access to millions of songs. These exist, of course. My question for this thread would be if there are any that also let you play download some of the songs (with DRM, presumably) so you can play them without internet access.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As far as I'm aware, Rhapsody is the only one with such a service and they have apps for iDevices and Android. They've had this service for years. It's been quite a few since I used it, although I do maintain my free account there.

Check out Sony's Qriocity service also. Am thinking they may have the option to download, but not available on near the number of devices as Rhapsody.

OP
S
Reaction score
What's the selection like at Qriocity? I don't really care about devices (I have an Android, but it's fine if it doesn't go on there). I'm much more concerned about my Mac and being able to listen offline on it. Unless that counts as a "device," I suppose.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Rhapsody does not work on a Mac except for streaming last I checked.

Qriocity - don't have a clue.

Both offer a free 30 day trial - check 'em out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.