New HDD install and bootcamp?

Reaction score
I was concerned that my imac HDD was going to pack it in, hence I looked at how to replace HDD videos on you tube. Following that procedure took an 1hr to install a new 500gb seagate HDD.
(why didnt Apple create an access cover for easy HDD removal, must be because their btm line is hurting :)

Since this new HDD is not seen by OSX snow leopard, and I plan to do a totally NEW boot camp with Windows 7 should I now create 1 partition for the entire HDD, using the Disk Utility and then wait for bootcamp to do the further Window 7 partitioning process?

TIA!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot the machine with your install DVD and partition- format the new hard drive. Use one partition only and format it using HFS Extended Journaled and GUID scheme. (default)

After that's done, you can install OS X or restore everything from your Time Machine backup (if you have one). Once everything is up and running to your satisfaction, go ahead and use the Boot Camp assistant to create a partition for Windows and proceed with the Windows installation.

And yes, an iMac is not built for easy upgrades (except memory).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a pretty neat access panel you made. I hope though that your machine is still not under warranty because if it is, it's not any more. ;D

OP
T
Reaction score
I wonder if the warranty says anything about not cutting access holes? LOL!

I had fixed the cover with Velcro tape, but decided to keep it open. The access hole
actually help with dissipating heat. The heat from the HDD is able to escape more easily
and I don't really need the heat sensor on the HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And allow Bootcamp to do its own partitioning. Best idea is to open Bootcamp Assistant in Utilities and print the manual there.

OP
T
Reaction score
And allow Bootcamp to do its own partitioning. Best idea is to open Bootcamp Assistant in Utilities and print the manual there.

thanks for your added comments. I'm not a fan of RTMF, although all went well with the install, except sound :( so as a reminder to those using boot camp, don't forget the following:

If you install Window 7 on Boot Camp or parallels and your are not getting any sound, just goto :
- Realtek
- click on download tab
- click on high definition audio codecs(software)
- accept the agreement,give it 5 second to reload and click next.
- click on "GO"of Vista driver32/64 bits driver only Executable file, and start downloading install it.

Voila sound appears on reboot, cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.