• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Video Game Console Emulation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Real quick: I know the rules about posting about illegal things, so I want to ask about this before asking any other questions. It's legal if you own the original videogame console and an original copy of the game, correct? As in, if I still happen to own a Nintendo Entertainment System and 30-40 games, it's legal for me to grab an emulator and ROM images of those 30-40 games. I've also heard some people say that if it's an old console that is no longer made or supported by the company and the games are no longer produced or sold, then it becomes abandonware and you can download and play to your heart's content. Anyone know for sure?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An emulator and ROM images of the games involves breaking encryption and as such is against US law. Doesn't matter if you own the games. I know there are varying opinions on this and some folks will speak up about "fair use", but until the US courts decide one way or another, we follow the US law.

Also, it's never a good idea to assume a copyrighted work is abandoned or is in the public domain. Only the copyright holder can say whether or not his\her work can be freely distributed.

OP
thekilierdonut
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Reaction score
Technically illegal but morally sound. I doubt people will cause you trouble over this, so go for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.