Macbook Pro Logic Board question

Reaction score
The display of my Macbook Pro 15' - purchased June 2007 - "blacked out" last week. I had a strong feeling there might be a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT involved and said so to the Apple Repair Center where I took it.

After paying 70€ for them to "test" it (which took a week), they now say they can repair the Macbook for... 927 € by changing the logic board. They have given me no other details.

Is there any way I can find out if my graphic processor is a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (in which case Apple would replace it for free ...)??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

The repair center should have a diagnostics disk they can use to determine if the issue is one that should be covered or not. The test is looking for a specific type of failure, and if it doesn't indicate that particular failure is present, the repair will not be covered. Video processors can fail for a number of reasons, including simple old age. If you don't feel the information given to you by the shop was accurate, take it back for a second opinion, ask for the video test to be run, and ask for the results. If the repair center says they have no such test, contact Apple and discuss it with their customer relations department.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll sound a lot more professionnal when I go talk to them tomorrow ;-)

Reaction score
I just had my Logicboard replaced for cheap. You can usually see the chipset Model: when you click on the Apple logo in the upper left hand corner and select about this Mac, then click the More info button and select Graphics and Displays. There mine says GeForce 8600M GT

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.