Replacing internal drive

Reaction score
Hi,

If I'm replacing a dead internal drive, can I get any capacity and does SATA 2 fit into a SATA slot? and is 7200rpm ok? I have an old black 13" Intel Macbook

Also when I first run the install discs and disc utility do I have to partition the new drive as GUID or just erase it to make it bootable?

Thanks in advance

Sam :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure on the Black Macbook, but you should be able to install pretty much any 2.5" Notebook drive in there. Some are a bit thicker though than others and might not fit. I will let someone with an older Macbook chime in on that. Otherwise any 2.5" SATA drive should work.

You have to have a GUID partition with any Intel Mac for the drive to be bootable. I just use Disk Utility from the OSX Install DVD and partition GUID.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
9.5mm if it's 12mm it's going to be a very tight fit.

C

chas_m

12mm drives strongly NOT recommended. It's beyond the engineering tolerances, will generate excess heat and in short not good for the machine long term. Stick with 9.5mm only

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've just ordered this:

Seagate Momentus 500GB 2.5 SATA 2 Hard Drive 16MB 7200RPM

Obviously hoping that it's pretty simple to install and it will work ok, it is a 9.5mm disc, thank you!!

Any other things I need to bear in mind? Or any useful advice on a smooth install!!

Thanks a lot

Wish me luck :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I just swapped the 320 GB HDD this MBP shipped with for a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB/7200RPM hybrid drive (32MB cache, 4GB SSD). It is running like a champ, and I've had no issues with heat, noise, slow boot times or anything else. It even sped up what was already a fast boot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.